4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Quick Help, K&N now, or CAI later

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:05 PM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Quick Help, K&N now, or CAI later

I have removed the intake silencer, should I go out and get a K&N filter for the stock airbox now, literally this afternoon, or should I wait until I have the money and get the K&N FIPK kit????? It's gonna be a long proscess doing everything I want, but I could get the filter alone now, is it worth it?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:11 PM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Quick Help, K&N now, or CAI later

I got the filter when I got my car "that was all the girl did befor she sold me the car" now I have the Mac cold air intake it depends on what you want because now Im stuck with an air filter that worth $50 and I have nothing to do with it! if you want to do your exhaust first and wait on the cai then get the filter if not just get the cai.

ps I still hae the filter! let me know what you are going to do.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:05 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver03gt

I have removed the intake silencer, should I go out and get a K&N filter for the stock airbox now, literally this afternoon, or should I wait until I have the money and get the K&N FIPK kit????? It's gonna be a long proscess doing everything I want, but I could get the filter alone now, is it worth it?
Just wait until you buy your tb/p and buy a cai to go with it. If you go and buy a filter now, then buy a cai later, you will be stuch with an extra filter that you don't need.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:06 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

CAI doesnt give much power for the price. [&:]
Old 02-17-2006, 05:24 PM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

I agree, but with all my future mods, I am not gonna keep the stock intake, so I guess I'll hold off and wait till I get a cai, thanks for the input guys, I just had money burning a hole in my pocket and wanted to get something for the car, but I don't think there is anything else out there for 50.00, lol
Old 02-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

No silencer with a K&N is a poor man's CIA. Almost identical numbers with that set up as a custom CIA. You really need to make the 3-way swop to see the biggest gains in power: plenum, throttle body, CIA. They all work together for the most effective system.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver03gt

From my experience and from everything I have read and spoken to performance shop guys your best bang for the buck unquestionably is to get ONLY the K&N filter, just forget about the throttle body/plenum/CAI .....
Old 02-18-2006, 04:16 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Unless you want something cool to show off under the hood, just get the filter. What I did was I removed the air box, put a K&N on and made heatshield out of sheet metal. The only HP difference between just the filter and the actual CAI will be 1hp at the most. So basically you are paying 170 or so extra bucks for 1hp and a cooler looking intake tube (assuming you go with the FIPK).

And if you do go with a CAI, I would strongly recommend the JLT (www.jlttruecoldair.com). It can be painted to match your car, has a big filter, and is still about 40 bucks less than the FIPK.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:20 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I ordered the jlt, even 1 horsepower here and there adds up.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:22 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

I ordered the jlt, even 1 horsepower here and there adds up.
I'm gonna get the JLT when I have 170 bucks to waste. I'm not gonna be expecting much, but it will add some flash under the hood.

The only reason I got the K&N is because it was time for a new filter and I figured it would save me money in the long run because it is reuseable.

Quick Reply: Quick Help, K&N now, or CAI later