MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Preparing for midpipe install.... What do I need? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/97256-preparing-for-midpipe-install-what-do-i-need.html)

MustangMafia 02-18-2006 11:36 AM

Preparing for midpipe install.... What do I need?

Alright so I am going to be ordering my midpipe sometime next week (99% sure I am going to get the Mac O/R H). I know the basics of how to do it but I need some info on what I will need. I made this list, if anybody can add to it something that might make this install a little less painful it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Jack Stands. I decided just to get some jack stands from Wal-Mart or something because I will only be using them a couple times.

2. New Gaskets. I heard it is highly recommended to replace your gaskets during this procedure. I need the ones inbetween the manifold and the midpipe right? And do I have to go to Ford to get them? Or can I find them at summit/jeg's/some website like that?

3. Swivel Socket. I heard these are pretty much mandatory if you want to complete the install without comtemplating/attempting suicide. Anybody know what size or does it depend on the size of the bolts that come with my pipe?

4. Socket Extension. I know I have one somewhere but I dont know if it will be long enough. Anybody know how long of an extension you need or is recommended?

5. Deep Sockets. I'm sure I have those...

6. WD40. Probably a good idea to get the bolts to loosen up huh?

Alright thats all I can think of. If anybody knows of anything else that would be recommened I would appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

Tim37 02-18-2006 01:09 PM

RE: Preparing for midpipe install.... What do I need?

i think 50resto has the gasket you only need one on the passanger side.

forget the wd40 get some pb blaster it works for this much better.

MustangMafia 02-18-2006 01:17 PM

Do you know the gasket is actually called?

And whats PB blaster do? Just dissolve catalyst or something?

tcuallstar 02-18-2006 03:12 PM

yea it helps break the nut loose, dont forget mil eliminators!

Tim37 02-18-2006 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: MustangMafia

Do you know the gasket is actually called?

And whats PB blaster do? Just dissolve catalyst or something?
not sure what the gasket is called i just reused the old one.

pb blaster is penetrating oil it works much better than wd40 for breaking bolts loose spray it on and let it set for about 30 min they will com off much easier.

JoeyD 02-20-2006 02:35 AM

the gasket comes with the H Pipe.
my MAC o/r H is in my garage right now.
it comes with all bolts and gasket.

good luck with the passanger side Manifold to MIdpipe two bolts... :D:D:D:D Boohahahah!

MustangMafia 02-20-2006 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: JoeyD

good luck with the passanger side Manifold to MIdpipe two bolts... :D:D:D:D Boohahahah!
Ahh so all I need is the tools? Also do you know what size swivel socket I will need?

MustangMafia 02-20-2006 02:39 AM

ORIGINAL: tcuallstar

yea it helps break the nut loose, dont forget mil eliminators!
Hehe, no need. I'm going to order myself a tuner to shut off my O2 sensors.

dlazrael 02-20-2006 02:43 AM

ORIGINAL: JoeyD

MAC gasket suck. Causes a slight exhaust leak in the manifold to midpipe joint.... Im going to ford tomorrow to get a replacement stock one, they're perfect for the job.... and get a prochamber..

PB Blaster.. sprayed it on and 5 mins later I got the nut off with a 3/8" socket drive, i had been using the 1/2" with breakerbar but it wasnt working :-/ After the PB blaster, it worked perfectly....

JoeyD 02-20-2006 02:46 AM

^Yeah does the MAC gasket suck?
hmmm.

I havn't installed mine yet (trying to see/get lowest time without exhaust)