4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

XCAL II VS XCAL I

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 04:08 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Default XCAL II VS XCAL I

So what advantage does the XCAL II have over the XCAL I other than the ability to tweak the tune from the tuner? I know to tweak the tunes yourself on the XCAL I you have to plug it into your computer, and with the XCAL 2 you can do it all right from the tuner itself, but is that the only difference?

Also, I have another question I never really got answered. I know when you order it (from mustangtuning anyway) it comes with one tune. So what about the other 2 tuning banks? I assume they are left blank for the user to tweak himself (assuming he doesnt pay for additional tunes). I was going to have MT make me my 93 octane performance tune, and I was going to tweak another bank for 87 Octane which would basically be the same as the factory tune except for it would have calibration for gears and O2 sensors. Can I do that?
Old 02-19-2006, 04:42 PM
RiseAgainst

Default RE: XCAL II VS XCAL I

Well, one good thing about the X-Cal II is that you can also read and clear DTC Trouble Codes / Check Engine Lights and it is capable of data-logging. And as for the tuning, the answer is yes, they can make those tunes. I have owned both the X-Cal I and II, and I would definately go with the II.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:44 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

I really dont care too much about being able to clear the codes tho... I can just go to an auto parts store here and the can read them for free... Or if I need a more in-depth reading, I can go to my mechanic and they can run the codes with their more advanced reader. Also this might sound like a newb question, but what is this data-logging thing and what does it do?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:08 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

So does anybody know if the only difference between the I and the II is the ability to tweak tunes on the tuner itself (plus the data-logging + code reader)?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:35 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Data Logging means if you have it plugged in while your driving or making a run, you can then afterwards plug it into your computer and see what the motor was doing the whole time, I think it would be worth it just for that, if you have a lean or rich spot somewhere ect... you can then find it and adjust accordingly
Old 02-20-2006, 02:44 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

So technically the only thing that is different is the data logging and the ability to check trouble codes, as well as the hand held tweaker compared to the PC. I'm not going to get too serious w/ mine. I'm getting the X-CAL 1 and maybe tweak it on the PC if I feel like it, but this summer I'm taking it to my local performance shop where they support SCT and make sure my tune is running my car right. Power gains w/ the mail order tune on both the 1 & 2 are the same, so for $100 less and since I'm not going to be playing around with it I think the 1 is for me...
Old 02-21-2006, 02:39 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xx9gt6xx

So technically the only thing that is different is the data logging and the ability to check trouble codes, as well as the hand held tweaker compared to the PC. I'm not going to get too serious w/ mine. I'm getting the X-CAL 1 and maybe tweak it on the PC if I feel like it, but this summer I'm taking it to my local performance shop where they support SCT and make sure my tune is running my car right. Power gains w/ the mail order tune on both the 1 & 2 are the same, so for $100 less and since I'm not going to be playing around with it I think the 1 is for me...
Same here.... I think I'm going to get the XCAL 1. I just wondered what happens to the other tuning banks if they dont use them to make a performance tune. Are they just the same as the stock tune with the stock timing and everything? Also, if you get the 2 step rev limiter, is it embedded on every tuning bank? Or just one?