4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shorty/mids midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:39 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: shorty/mids midpipe

And Dan, just so we can end this.. You said shorties won't give more than 5hp... How much can you expect from LT's?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

Shorties are WORTHLESS on a 4.6L, espcially with your mods. I have seen supercharged cars only dyno 4-5 more RWHP with shorties on compared to the stock manifolds.
HAHAHAHA, go ahead Matt ask 2000GT for his dyno sheets.
How much do you think long tubes add? 50? For the $250 I payed for my shorties 4-5 rwhp would be great. That's a better deal then a CAI. Long tubes will double the hp increase. But you pay twice as much as I did for power that you won't even feel.

Shorties are not a waste of money and are not worthless, unless you spend a hell of a lot of money on the short tube headers.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:19 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

mid length headers rule all. better power and torque where you need it.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

And Dan, just so we can end this.. You said shorties won't give more than 5hp... How much can you expect from LT's?
Since LT's require a mid-pipe setup, you can expect 10-15HP, give or take a few depending on your combination and cat-back setup.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Meebix, my GT is lowered just shy of 2", which was an occasional pain, but with my LTs I do have some serious clearance issues. Speed bumps are pretty much impossible, and just to get it up the driveway I have to angle it juuuuust so to keep them from scraping. I didn't see a bump in the road once...BAM! The whole friggin' car shook from the impact.

You claim your ride is one of the lowest on the road? If you get LTs (I have SLPs) i feel it will be even worse.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

David_K, why do you say Mid-Lengths rule all? I'm curious about your opinion. I'd like to know the value of my Bassani mid-lengths before I get 'em.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:34 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

well i had a set of bassani midlengths and picked up massive hp gains throughout the power band and picked up a good amount of torque from about 2500 rpm and they held until rpm cut off. i traded them even to a friend for a set of kooks long tube headers. now the kooks made 7 more ft lbs of torque at 2500 rpm but the torque dropped dramstically after 5200 rpm. and it made less hp than the midlengths untill 3600 rpm. PM fax number and ll fax you a copy of the dyno sheets.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:45 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

Shorties are WORTHLESS on a 4.6L, espcially with your mods. I have seen supercharged cars only dyno 4-5 more RWHP with shorties on compared to the stock manifolds.
HAHAHAHA, go ahead Matt ask 2000GT for his dyno sheets.
How much do you think long tubes add? 50? For the $250 I payed for my shorties 4-5 rwhp would be great. That's a better deal then a CAI. Long tubes will double the hp increase. But you pay twice as much as I did for power that you won't even feel.

Shorties are not a waste of money and are not worthless, unless you spend a hell of a lot of money on the short tube headers.
Shorties are competely worthless on a n/a 2v car. It is COMPETELY not worth the total pain in the *** to install and the price.

I would be HIGHLY surpised if you gained 5 RWHP from shorties. MM&FF did a dyno test where they swapped from stockers to shorties to LTs. The LTs ALONE made like 18 RWHP. The shorties made 2-3 RWHP all thru the band.

2-3 RWHP is useless. You will not even notice it in the 1/4 mile.

Not only that, but LTs are going to keep making more and more power the more you do. I would not be suprised to see LTs making 20-25+ RWHP on a supercharged car.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:51 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Not only that, but LTs are going to keep making more and more power the more you do. I would not be suprised to see LTs making 20-25+ RWHP on a supercharged car.
LT's + Full exhaust and CAI (Mid-pipe and Catback) I have HEARD throw down about 22+ rwhp, so I would assume 25+ rwhp LT's on a s/c stang is a pretty good estimate alone.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Midlengths would be a great alternative if they were cheaper & easier to install, which they are not.

Anything will be better than stock. You will see gains, but they will not be near the gains of mid-lengths or LT's. Unfortunately, ML's or LT's aren't in everyones budget and/or pass inspection in there area.
MLs are a little easier to install. They come in single tubes so you can work your way forward doing one tube at a time which doesn't sound like much but any extra bit of wrench room is helpful. You've just gotta weld the collector on as you go.

Quick Reply: shorty/mids midpipe