4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

~where is my oil going?? ::sigh::

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 05:28 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default ~where is my oil going?? ::sigh::

Hello all
Old 02-19-2006, 05:30 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ~where is my oil going?? ::sigh::

okay I dunno WTF happened there, but my internet = garbage,

anyway... I have a 1997 GT that keeps losing oil. Doesn't leave much of a puddle or smoke at all. I have found that the rear main is starting to leak and the oil pan. Would these two things cause the oil to go down decently?

What gets me is I check the oil every few days, and it is great, great, great, then all of a sudden down by almost a quart. I've pulled the plugs, all appear grey(perfect) and the compression is 150psi +/-5 psi all around. Runs great...

Would those two leaky gaskets combined cause my problem?

George
Old 02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

The confusing thing is having it go down all of a sudden. Is it possible you drive it different or park it on a slope when the level changes?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:44 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

the gasket leaking is enough to cause that. as far as sudden oil level drop, also take into consideration the conditions under wich you are checking it.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:52 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

true true. I don't know, I drive about the same route every day to school, home then work and back home. I don't usually check it when it's cold because oil is like honey, I wait until it's had a chance to warm up and then check it. It's just odd....

oh well, it runs great

George
Old 02-19-2006, 05:57 PM
*Blk_96_Stang_GT*
4th Gear Member

I have sort of the opposite problem, i have lil puddels under my car but when i check my oil it never goes down, so ive been confused a lot latley too but it still runs great.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:03 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

well.... I'd rather have that. mine worries be because it just goes down without me knowing. It almost never smokes. Occasionally when it's extremely cold, I see a TINY puff of blue and then nothin. 99% of the time water drips out the tail pipes.

By the way blk 96 stang GT, where at in IL ar eyou from? I'm from IL as well, as in Downers Grove.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I have an oil pan gasket and a rear main seal. When I pull my tranny out for the rebuild, I'm having the flywheel resurfaced, so I will replace the rear main seal then. Once the trans is back in, I will jack the engine/trans up and do the oil pan gasket. Then we'll see what that gets me. I'm also tempted tos witch to valvoline high milage oil. Regular or synthetic yet I'm not sure.

George
Old 02-19-2006, 06:04 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

true true. I don't know, I drive about the same route every day to school, home then work and back home. I don't usually check it when it's cold because oil is like honey, I wait until it's had a chance to warm up and then check it. It's just odd....

oh well, it runs great

George

check it cold. when it's warm, the oil pump has pumped it up into the engine, when its cold, the oil is settled into the sump and you'll get a more accurate reading of how much oil you have.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:05 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

okay. I've even tried checking it both ways. I keep good track of it. I've had other cars that have tons more miles on them that didn't use this much oil.

George
Old 02-20-2006, 02:08 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I'm-a gonna shoot it!
Two days ago, yesterday, and this morning the oil was fine. I park it for the night, down by like 1/2 a quart. W T F!!!!

Quick Reply: ~where is my oil going?? ::sigh::