4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

another gear question.. but not annoying i promise

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:05 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: another gear question.. but not annoying i promise

ORIGINAL: IownaMustangNow

ahhh you guys are making this hard on me! what if i do it.. to see if i like it... if not ill take em off.. and sell them and get 373's... and i thought new gears cost like 450 dollars... maybe i was looking sumwhere wroonnggg
you can't just "take them off".. most places charge 400 dollars to install them. dont get 3.55's just get 4.10's. i wouldn't even bother with 3.73's
Old 02-21-2006, 12:34 AM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

you can't just "take them off".. most places charge 400 dollars to install them. dont get 3.55's just get 4.10's. i wouldn't even bother with 3.73's
leave me alone with the 4.10's!!!! im not going 410's!!! they arent what i want... im not getting them.. this car is a dauly driver.. i dont wanan be shifting like a nut...i will go no higher tha n373's thank u
Old 02-21-2006, 12:48 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

leave me alone with the 4.10's!!!! im not going 410's!!! they arent what i want... im not getting them.. this car is a dauly driver.. i dont wanan be shifting like a nut...i will go no higher tha n373's thank u
Why don't you listen to all these people that actually have done gears.. I will tell you something, just about everyone that has gotten 3.73's say they wish they got 4.10's... I'm with them.. I was on here awhile ago and everyone was into 4.10's too high for a mustang and this and that... So I bought into it, and got 3.73's.... Now, I do love them, but I'm so used to them and now I'm wanting more... I get 22 mpg with 3.73's and getting 4.10's wouldn't make that much of a difference..
Old 02-21-2006, 09:34 AM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

its just not necessary tho.. i have a high mileage engine with an original clutch on it.. that i plan on keeping original for a couple more years. If i put 4.10's its gunna lead to too much shifting and more wear on my clutch. ill pass
Old 02-21-2006, 09:40 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

its just not necessary tho.. i have a high mileage engine with an original clutch on it.. that i plan on keeping original for a couple more years. If i put 4.10's its gunna lead to too much shifting and more wear on my clutch. ill pass
Are gears at all necessary then??
Old 02-21-2006, 11:19 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Even when you are going to swap to 3.73's it's going to lead to more shifting, so I don't understand your arguement on that..
Old 02-21-2006, 11:33 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96stang

Even when you are going to swap to 3.73's it's going to lead to more shifting, so I don't understand your arguement on that..
+1

I have never heard anybody complain about having too shift too much with gears....
Old 02-21-2006, 11:48 AM
ALSANT99
1st Gear Member

WOW I am soo confused. like most everyone else I am with the guys on going with 4:10`s . But I also am worried about them being too much. I drove a car with 3:73`s in it and it was not bad . I am almost ready to order the 4:10`s.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:00 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

Why don't you listen to all these people that actually have done gears.. I will tell you something, just about everyone that has gotten 3.73's say they wish they got 4.10's... I'm with them.. I was on here awhile ago and everyone was into 4.10's too high for a mustang and this and that... So I bought into it, and got 3.73's.... Now, I do love them, but I'm so used to them and now I'm wanting more... I get 22 mpg with 3.73's and getting 4.10's wouldn't make that much of a difference..
What you have is "always wanting more" syndrome.... people like yourself, 4.10s arent going to be enough. Like me and systems, i have 2 15's packed into my stang, and now that im used to it, I want to get more out of it. 4.10s wont be good enough, once you get used to them. Save yourself the time and skip little steps like gears and go with a 347 stroker engine and try and get around 400-500 hp's... well, until that gets old. You could always slap a 460 block into your stang... gears arent your answer, you simply need "more HORSEPOWER"
Old 02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ToplessGT

What you have is "always wanting more" syndrome.... people like yourself, 4.10s arent going to be enough. Like me and systems, i have 2 15's packed into my stang, and now that im used to it, I want to get more out of it. 4.10s wont be good enough, once you get used to them. Save yourself the time and skip little steps like gears and go with a 347 stroker engine and try and get around 400-500 hp's... well, until that gets old. You could always slap a 460 block into your stang... gears arent your answer, you simply need "more HORSEPOWER"
I don't think you've gotten used to it as much as you have just done massive amounts of damage to your ear drums...

Quick Reply: another gear question.. but not annoying i promise