4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PLEASE HELP! MUSTANG WON'T RUN!

Old 02-21-2006, 07:20 PM
CJFANNI
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: PLEASE HELP! MUSTANG WON'T RUN!

That happened to me when i blew the hose from the plenum to the cold air off.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:26 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

It looked like some tranny fluid was on the engine, at least that's where the smoke appeared to be coming from. The whining sounds happens when when I turn the ignition, not when I cut on the engine so I am not sure if it's the fuel pump. The Mass air meter is connected right........[&o]. I think I'm just going to undo everything and try it again. Whats this about a screw you can turn on the throttle body to try and fix the idle? Should I try that or that dosen't really sound like the problem?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:18 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

It's running now, still a little rough but it's not shutting off. The trouble code says throttle body sensor has low input. Is there a certain way to put the TBS on?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Have you taken off your MAF and cleaned it? Lol, I hadnt done that recently and my car actualy threw a code the other day.. Dont remember the exact number but the text was "bank one to rich". Never hurts to pull it apart and clean it when you have any issues like that.. any time your A/F ratio is jacked your car will do some crazy things.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:36 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuslee842

It's running now, still a little rough but it's not shutting off. The trouble code says throttle body sensor has low input. Is there a certain way to put the TBS on?
Sometimes you have to set the TPS after you install a t/b, but it should not be running like **** because of that, just a low or bad idle.

There is a way to check the voltage on the TPS, but I have never looked into it to see how because i never have had the problem.

Put the stock T/B back on (its so easy should only take a sec) and see if the problems go away.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:53 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the input the car is running okay except for the weird idle. I guess I will try the stock TB and see if it changes. I really just think I put TPS sensor on wrong, I though these were the easy mods. [&:] They have really been a PITA, drilling here, cutting there, buying new bolts, etc.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:54 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuslee842

Thanks for the input the car is running okay except for the weird idle. I guess I will try the stock TB and see if it changes. I really just think I put TPS sensor on wrong, I though these were the easy mods. [&:] They have really been a PITA, drilling here, cutting there, buying new bolts, etc.
I did nothing but order it and put it on just like the directions said.

BTW, there should be a how to out there on the net on how to set the sensor. You will need a voltmeter, it involves setting the sensor at idle to as close to 1 volt without acutally getting 1 volt I think.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

LOL that's what I did but the bolts were in bad shape and I had to find a drill bit for the air intake. Should I put in throttle position sensor in google or is there a site I can go to.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:27 AM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

^^bump
Old 02-22-2006, 05:16 AM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

Get it straight from Ford. The part number should be on the TPS.

As far as your problem, that P1000 code just means the ECU hasnt gone through a full drive cycle yet. White smoke just sounds like you had some gas sitting in there for a while and you just started it up to get things moving again. If any stang sits for a few weeks the gas that is in the lines and so forth becomes a PITA, so you have to kinda give the throttle a nice bump when you start it up

Most TPS's stay good. Unless you REALLY screwed the thing up, you should be fine. Your idle might be a little lopey for a day or two as the ECU relearns your car. Otherwise, it sounds like everything is normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! MUSTANG WON'T RUN!