4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is The Engine ruined???

Old 02-22-2006, 11:19 PM
dfault

Default Is The Engine ruined???

Hi, got an 04 mach and the oil pump went out on me while under acceleration and i lost all my oil pressure. It was ran after that about 5 minutes total. It's currently in the ford dealership and tell me that they might just replace the oil pump and not give me a new engine like they were originally going to do. My question is are they screwing me over by just giving me the oil pump or is there no need for replacement of the engine/components since it was ran w/o oil for a such a short amount of time? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Is The Engine ruined???

ORIGINAL: dfault

Hi, got an 04 mach and the oil pump went out on me while under acceleration and i lost all my oil pressure. It was ran after that about 5 minutes total. It's currently in the ford dealership and tell me that they might just replace the oil pump and not give me a new engine like they were originally going to do. My question is are they screwing me over by just giving me the oil pump or is there no need for replacement of the engine/components since it was ran w/o oil for a such a short amount of time? Thanks.
Thats bull****

It is almost certianly damaged.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

5 min no oil psi? ya i would say its probably tost. are you sure the gauge just didn't stop working?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:26 PM
dfault

Yes i made sure the gauge was not screwed up, there was considerable noise from the driver side head. They tried to tell me it was the timing chain... and that maybe no damage was done. They said they could find no scoring or damages yet, but they said that they would look deeper into it. Im not a mechanic, but i know whats going on, and i feel bs'd around. after this was done it still started and ran, so they might just replace the pump, but i have a feeling that when they start it back up the noises won't go away
Old 02-22-2006, 11:30 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dfault

Yes i made sure the gauge was not screwed up, there was considerable noise from the driver side head. They tried to tell me it was the timing chain... and that maybe no damage was done. They said they could find no scoring or damages yet, but they said that they would look deeper into it. Im not a mechanic, but i know whats going on, and i feel bs'd around. after this was done it still started and ran, so they might just replace the pump, but i have a feeling that when they start it back up the noises won't go away
Total bull****, don't let em get away with it. 5min without oil has GOTTA tear up soimething.

Sounds like you should have driven it for about 20 mintues.

Just make a huge deal about it, bitch loudly at the dealer etc. They will turn around.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:31 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

sounds fishy, at least your still under warranty, if your engine is f##ked up you will probably notice after driving it for a few more weeks
Old 02-22-2006, 11:32 PM
OUZBnd
3rd Gear Member

im surpised it didn;t fusion weld it self together
Old 02-22-2006, 11:35 PM
starcam
1st Gear Member

If the oil was synthetic it may be okay, big maybe, depends how it was run those 5mins.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:46 PM
roushracingmustang
1st Gear Member

I sure would like to see the oil they drained out of you think there would be some shavings in
it or in the bottom of the pan!
Old 02-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

be like ok, and drive it untill it blows. and then bring it back and then say, i think it needs a new oil pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is The Engine ruined???