4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Am I the only one with a moody mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:15 AM
zanderwitaz
2nd Gear Member

Default Am I the only one with a moody mustang?

Ok, I thought this was going to end once I got my tune, but it hasnt. Sometimes my car revs up really easily, and sometimes its still sluggish. Usually when the sound of the exhaust matches the timing of the pistons firing during idle, my engine runs really really well. but most of the time, thats not the case. Usually my exhaust sounds nothing like the firing of the pistons. I dont know anyone else with a V8 stang to compare to, so I dont know if this is normal or not. But my engine likes to run at about 2am and is extremely sluggish when cold.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:14 AM
tool fan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Am I the only one with a moody mustang?

All experience I have had with V8's that is common especially with carborated V8's. Just let it idle for a few minutes before you roll out
Old 02-23-2006, 05:40 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

When you start changing things, it's bound to happen. Mine was "moody" as well.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:59 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Two things come to mind, off road, Xpipes Are your front two O2 sensors connected securely, no burnt wires, if you ae using harness extensions, they OK. second, your predator tuner, set your settings back to stock, then bring up each item in your trim up to where you had it, but gradual on each. You may have a tuning issue, too much spark advance/fuel in your Rpm curve.
John
Old 02-23-2006, 12:16 PM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

have you looked at thinks like the sparke plugs see if there clean, injectors they might need to be cleaned as well. but I dont know I have not had my 97 V8 do that do me and it get cold where I live it still runs fine (-10*) last week with the wind chill it was (-34*)[&:]
Old 02-23-2006, 12:27 PM
96WhiteGT

The way it sounds, i think you need to clean some stuff internaly, injectors, maybe your manifold, just go through and clean everything good and see if that helps. The car i just got rid of was having the same problems and i took it to the dealer and had them spray this crap into my intake system and cleaned everything out and the car ran amazing, no hard starts, no weird idles and it wasnt sluggish anymore below 3 grand.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:51 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96WhiteGT

i took it to the dealer and had them spray this crap into my intake system and cleaned everything out and the car ran amazing, no hard starts, no weird idles and it wasnt sluggish anymore below 3 grand.
what mustang do you have?

how much did that cost
Old 02-23-2006, 08:08 PM
zanderwitaz
2nd Gear Member

Its been this way as long as I can remember. Im not using 02 extensions, and its actually running better with advanced timing. the mileage is going up as well,but still isnt perfect. Im not sure If i want to take my fuel system and manifold apart, im not that familiar with my engine bay. does anyone else with a 1999-2004 GT have similar problems? but man,when the exhaust and the crank match up, its like driving a whole new car. the power difference is increbible.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:29 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zanderwitaz

Its been this way as long as I can remember. Im not using 02 extensions, and its actually running better with advanced timing. the mileage is going up as well,but still isnt perfect. Im not sure If i want to take my fuel system and manifold apart, im not that familiar with my engine bay. does anyone else with a 1999-2004 GT have similar problems? but man,when the exhaust and the crank match up, its like driving a whole new car. the power difference is increbible.
i dont get when you say your exhaust and your crank match up. explain
Old 02-23-2006, 08:36 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

My mustang is definitely moody, she seems to be getting better, i've had occasions where rpms didnt want to climb. maybe my torque converter was locked? dunno. but since i cleaned my maf, changed coolant, and tranny fluid w/ the shift kit, and synthetic oil, my god, she definitely does things she hasnt done since i got her. i remember racing some ricer and hitting 2nd with my rear end kicking out like a mad man, with my heavy 200lb friend in the back, and another passenger, she hasnt done anything like that since then. =(

Quick Reply: Am I the only one with a moody mustang?