4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I need advice fast on a 1996 GT....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 12:57 AM
SaleenSC

Default I need advice fast on a 1996 GT....

Ok so heres the deal. Im going to see a Mustang this weekend. Heres the description given:

1996 Ford Mustang GT, 86K low miles, V8, 5spd, ac, ps, pb, pw, pdl, tilt, fully loaded, lthr int, pwr seat, extra clean, $5988.

Its also a convertible, but the ad didnt say so, I can see it in the picture. What I need help on is what I should be looking at when I go down to see about getting it this saturday. Are there points that tend to go out quickly or bad that I need to look at? Any bugs in the design of the 96' that I should know about? Is this a good price? I love mustangs, but I am fairly new to the whole thing experience-wise. I know Jeeps inside and out but I assume this is completely different in regards to what I need to be looking for. Need help quick Im going down saturday thanks....
Old 02-23-2006, 01:05 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I need advice fast on a 1996 GT....

well my friend it looks like you are goin for the type of car I went for as well... here's my scoop... I got my 1997 GT with 103000 miles on it for what ended up being $4500... it now needs a clutch, synchros, and a few gaskets on the bottom of the engine (oil pan and rear main). These are no problem as I am studying to be a master tech, and will do these myself. It how has 109000 on it. However, I tested the compression and it is good.

What I would say is look it over as much as you freaking can. If you can get under it, look over EVERYTHING check for any leaks or evidence of leaks. Check for puddles under it. Also, ask if you can have it compression tested too, see how strong the engine is. See if you can pull a spark plug, check for evidence of burning oil (black or gunky). Also, TEST DRIVE IT. One thing I found is a good way to test a car, is on the test drive just bury the pedal and scream it through the gears (do not powershift, just quick normal shifts) and any big engine/trans problems will shine. If it has a knock, this is when it will happen most. If a synchro is gone, this is when the gear will grind (like mine! HA) . Also, take it up to 70mph or so and see how it rides on the highway, any vibrations or what not. Also test the brakes, a few hard stops see if they pulse at all.

I haven't found any real weak points on my car, it just seems I have bad luck and stuff likes to fail AFTER i buy it and all at once!

Is this at a dealer?

George
Old 02-23-2006, 01:08 AM
demon_head
4th Gear Member

I haven't had any major problems on mine...i'm at 114,000 miles......seems like a fair deal to me, just be sure to check it over very good inside and out.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:40 AM
98HossGT
2nd Gear Member

i bought mine (1998 gt coupe manual) at 86K miles and the dealer and i noticed the coolant light came on during the test drive so he topped me off for free come to find out i actually had a coolant leak. no problem easy find and fix

everything is fine now at 117K only other thing was i had to replace my IAC valve but im still having trouble with it cuttin off during decelleration doesnt happen very often
Old 02-23-2006, 07:55 AM
boyntonstylez
1st Gear Member

I bought my 96 for 4000. So far I replaced a blown heater hose and the clutch due a throwout bearing failure. Also the rear tires have been replaced but thats a different story. My IAC is starting to go and it burns a little oil. Other than that its a good car, good enough for me to drive it roughly 80-90 miles a day with no problems, AC blows too. Just check and check and check before you buy. Ask if they have any maintenance records. Check the oil and other fluids. Also check out the clutch for any noise. If you find anything suspicious use that for a excuse to lower the price.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:19 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

+1
Old 02-23-2006, 12:36 PM
96WhiteGT

Ya i got my 96 5 speed, 1 owner, lady driven since 96, 87k on it, no accidents ever, no major problems ever, car doesnt have 1 dent or scratch on it, brand new tires, new clutch,plugs,belts, no leaks,creaks,rattles, car runs like brand new and the salesman who owns an 03 cobra said he has never seen a 96 in such good condition and one that feels brand new. I got it for 5k OTD from a toyota dealer cause they didnt want a domestic on their lot. , just check everything on the car and make sure you get on it and look at the underside of the car too. My salesman told me to hammer the car to check for knock and noises in the tranny and motor.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:33 PM
paulstang
3rd Gear Member

im not shure about this but i have heard that the 96 motors arnt as good as the later ones and start to have big problems earlier well thats my 2 cents good luck and be shure to check everything out
Old 02-23-2006, 02:02 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

I have heard they can run into some pretty serious cooling issues.....
Old 02-23-2006, 02:05 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

It may sound bad but drive it like you are going to drive it when testing it. Bad Syncros sometimes only show themselves over 3K 4K rpm shifts anyhow. Other than that nothing wrong with the 96. Me and my brother both have 96's and for a convert thats a good deal. I paid $4000 for mine with 93K miles and a new Tremec 3650 in it and my brother paid $5400 for his with 81K miles. But like I said its a convert so thats a good deal. Also look it replacing the top if you buy because it is 10 years old. I want a Vert! Someone trade me!

Quick Reply: I need advice fast on a 1996 GT....