MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   exhaust Gasket (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/99098-exhaust-gasket.html)

04mineralgreyGT 02-24-2006 06:18 AM

exhaust Gasket

I was curious if anyone has had a problem with the gasket on the passenger side exhaust manifold, the one that goes between the manifold and the stock h-pipe. basicaly what I'm asking is, has any of you "do it yourselfers" had a problem tearing or breaking that gasket?

blackbetty01 02-24-2006 10:12 AM

RE: exhaust Gasket

My mustang is an early model 01 and I didn't use a gasket when I installed a new O/R X-Pipe. No leaks and it sounds great.

MustangMafia 02-24-2006 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01

My mustang is an early model 01 and I didn't use a gasket when I installed a new O/R X-Pipe. No leaks and it sounds great.
You didnt use a gasket at all? Or you reused the stock one?

StangChik 02-24-2006 11:31 AM

I blew my passenger side gasket out, took about 2 1/2 hours to change, cost 5 bucks, but was a total pain in the a$$

MustangMafia 02-24-2006 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: StangChik

I blew my passenger side gasket out, took about 2 1/2 hours to change, cost 5 bucks, but was a total pain in the a$$
Did you just get a new one from Ford?

StangChik 02-24-2006 11:44 AM

No, i worked at Advance Auto Parts, bought it there on the spot, and its still going good

MustangMafia 02-24-2006 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: StangChik

No, i worked at Advance Auto Parts, bought it there on the spot, and its still going good

Ahhh. I am going to get a midpipe soon and I guess I might as well get a new gasket. However our Ford dealership has a reputation for not ordering things when they say they do. Thus leading to me having to hassle them about stuff that is on "back order", when in all reality they didnt even order it...

70 MACH I 02-24-2006 11:57 AM

No, but the dealer did, he installed it wrong, Doh. They changed my H-pipe for rattles under warranty and well, had an exhaust leak. Brought it back and they just tightened the hell out of it.

Now, you should be able to change that gasket in about 15 minutes, (BTW the Ford piece is $10) First, you need wobble extensions for 3/8 drive. Buy a set from advancedauto parts, Three sizes for $8. use the short one attach 15mm deep socket, then attach long wobble ext, then straight if you need it. Loosen both sides completely, the pipe will rest on crossmember. Pull off old gasket, put new one on studs (be sure to put raised gasket section toward manifold), now, place pipe back in place, start nuts on both sides of the car, tighten RS (gasket side) tight to flange (bring the flange up evenly, by tightening slightly on each side), then tighten left, ball socket side. If you attach the left side first, YOU WILL F*** up the gasket as it will cock when you tighten it. Common sense, not prevalant at the dealer, DOH!

John

StangChik 02-24-2006 12:09 PM

After we loosened the bolts, my exhaust would not drop(aftermarket prochamber) we had to drop the system off of the hangers, and we still lbarely got it in there.

70 MACH I 02-24-2006 12:59 PM

Ah yes, '98 has a double rubber hanger in the center of the car, release that, you are home free. Spray soap in those rubber hangers or youll fight them.
John