4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My car DIED!!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 06:55 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My car DIED!!!! HELP!

Easy way to check and see if its the alternator... have someone jump you and leave it hooked up.. if it stays running its a power problem. If it still dies, its an air/fuel problem.

Belt could definatly be it.

MAF could definatly be it as well.. If you can look down into it and see the two resisters in there, make sure that there are still two hanging and they are not broken, and make sure that they are not dirty.. could have sucked something through the filter and it got stuck rihgt htere.. thats a one in a million chance though. If you happen to have a tamper proof T20 or T25 you oculd pull it off and clean it real quick.. I dont remember which I used on my allen set.. its one or the other.

Could be quite a few things.. sorry man
Old 02-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

ORIGINAL: Crazyfast50stang

if it was the alt and the battery was dead then it wouldnt start over and over again.
Sure it could. Batteries have a tendency to replenish a little bit after it's not used..

And, if it was the MAF or CAI or something like that.. why would the battery warning lamp light up?
Yeah it could but only once or twice, it takes a lot to turn a engine over and you couldnt do it too many times if the alt isnt charging the battery. Also the battery light could come on because the car is starting to sputter which is causing the alternator not to spin enough and show that the battery is not getting enough juice.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:59 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

...but the belt would not have caused the car to die immediately, unless you had a weak battery but the car started up again

my other guesses are the IAC or the MAF but neither of those should not have thrown the battery light...just the idle problems
Old 02-24-2006, 07:02 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

when your car dies with the ignition turns over, the battery light is always on

just get ready to start your car, if you look, the battery light shoudl be on right?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

okay here's what I know... I'll try and answer all the questions at once...
the car started back up about 10-12 times. It wouldn't start the last 4 times I started it.
battery light comes one, when i turn on the accessories, but goes off and stays off when the car started. The belt is on, the MAF sensor is on, the CAI looks good, no trottlbody linkage problems, the egr sensor is less than a year old, and it sounds like it is running out of gas, but it keeps starting. The needle is close to the "E" but not on it, and it has run 25+ miles when it was past empty.

I'm gonan go put some gas in it and pray it starts. I think it is a fuel problem of some kind. I was goign to change the fuel filter, and plugs within the next 2 weeks anyway. I'll go get gas and report back in about 30 minutes.

Thank you guys so much. My car is a ****er!
Old 02-24-2006, 07:07 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

this sounds very familar to the Idle Air Controller problem that i experianced just before the end of the summer last year.

The car will start absolutely fine, then the RPM's just drop, and refuse to do anything unless you feed it some fuel.

It happened to me driving once whne the car just shut off and i dangerously rolled through a stop sign cause i wasnt expecting to have to hammer the brakes.

Actually, I have a nice little picture of where the IAC is,, just tap it a couple times to free up the spring, then take it home and clean it out with some carburator cleaner

[IMG]local://upfiles/11183/2EE50785E9114BD0A99D08F1290DA235.jpg[/IMG]

+1

Its happend to most mustangs. It sucks with an auto though becuase you cant control the revs. Whats happening is the Idle air controller lets air in while you're not on the throttle. so the TB is closed. With a manual you can kinda drive it by keep revving the car and getting the revs up (still ****ing sucks and dangerous to drive). WIth an auto you really cant keep it running in drive at all if you're not moving.

Its pretty easy to replace 2 bolts, cost like 60-70 bucks at autozone.

Whoever said alternator... its definatly not that; the battery light comes on because the cars electronics are still on when the call stalls out.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

this iswhat I think happened. Since your gas tank is by the E that means you are taking in the last bit of fuel which could cause you to also take in all sorts of contamination, I say check your fuel filter cause I think its clogged. Dont start it to many time cause you will kill your battery. Go get some gas and a new fuel filter change the filter put the new gas in and start her up.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Moparman87
3rd Gear Member

check the plugs and wires?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

IT'S ALIVE!!!!! I puy 1 gallon (biggest gas can the station had) in it and its running again... Only the guage showed over a 1/4 tank[] WFT?!?! I think my gas guage is broken and she was just putting around on fumes...

Where's the "I feel like a total dousche" icon?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:56 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

lol no problem ethan similiar thing happened to this lady that came into gas station. She had 2004 tahoe gas was just above E and it died. Stuff happens ethan no worries. Glad to know you got it up and running.

Quick Reply: My car DIED!!!! HELP!