4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

$3000. Boltons VS Used Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 11:01 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Default $3000. Boltons VS Used Procharger

Okay so I will probably have $3000 to spend on whatever (my car) and I am debating whether I want to go with a used supercharger (probably a procharger) or spend it on boltons/cams. Here is what I've come up with

Option A

Stage 1 Cams + Install = $1000 or so
4.10 Gears + Install = $500
100 Shot (wet or dry) = $600
Plenum + T-Body = $300
Underdrive Pullys = $180
VRS O/R X = $185
MPH (Timmy) SCT Tune =$400

Total = $3165

Option B

Used Procharger (ebay) $2000
Install + Tune $1000

Total = $3000 Give or take

Suspension and new tires/wheels would come later (probably during/after summer depending on cash flow).

So what do you think would be ther better option?

Old 02-26-2006, 11:08 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Default RE: $3000. Boltons VS Used Procharger

You should get the used S/C kit if you can find one for that price, install it yourself...then just pay like 500 to have it dyno-tuned. Talk to the people over at MPH, they all say its pretty simple to install yourself, just takes time. And you get to save 500 bucks.

Both options look appealing though.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:11 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

You should get the used S/C kit if you can find one for that price, install it yourself...then just pay like 500 to have it dyno-tuned. Talk to the people over at MPH, they all say its pretty simple to install yourself, just takes time. And you get to save 500 bucks.

I was kind of leaning towards the boltons just because it is a big ol' list of crap I can tell people I have done lol. Plus I think it is kinda fun to do the small stuff first... And I'm not sure how much I could get a used PC for. I just threw that number out there. If I got the SC I would have more wiggle room as to how much I would pay....
Old 02-26-2006, 11:18 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMafia

I was kind of leaning towards the boltons just because it is a big ol' list of crap I can tell people I have done lol. Plus I think it is kinda fun to do the small stuff first... And I'm not sure how much I could get a used PC for. I just threw that number out there. If I got the SC I would have more wiggle room as to how much I would pay....
I enjoy doing all the small stuff first aswell..that's why my plan is to get all my boltons done and the few visual mods I'm going to do then save up for whatever S/C kit I decide to go with.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:21 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Yeah, If i went the S/C route, it would be a bunch of saving and waiting. If I did the boltons, I could stuff piece by piece. What do you think I would run if I went with option A. After I got Lower and Upper CA's?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:33 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Yeah, If i went the S/C route, it would be a bunch of saving and waiting. If I did the boltons, I could stuff piece by piece. What do you think I would run if I went with option A. After I got Lower and Upper CA's?
I'm not sure what you would run other then from what I have heard you would be in the 12s easily.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:35 PM
mingrey01gt
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure what you would run other then from what I have heard you would be in the 12s easily.
11's with a good driver and suspension
Old 02-26-2006, 11:42 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mingrey01gt

11's with a good driver and suspension
I doubt it unless I got some D/Rs....
Old 02-26-2006, 11:45 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

I enjoy doing all the small stuff first aswell..that's why my plan is to get all my boltons done and the few visual mods I'm going to do then save up for whatever S/C kit I decide to go with.
It depends on if u wanna buy all that stuff then decide u want a s/c then realize u have to take most of it off because u can't use it with a s/c..... definently go s/c from the start. plus nitrous has to be refilled at like 75 bucks a pop and if u run out no more fun. s/c keeps on going and going and is there for u when u need it. n w/out nitrous the other stuff doesn't give u much performance gains. i mean all that $ on cams for like 15-20hp??? thats a good chunk of supercharger there. but dont neglect the s/c supporting mods to get all the fuel to the engine..
Old 02-26-2006, 11:52 PM
mingrey01gt
2nd Gear Member

What's your main goal for the car? Just fast? As in just fast on the street, just fast on the track, or both?

If it's both, I'd build up the rear end and suspension first. But that's JMO.

Good upper and lower rear arms, adjustable shocks/struts, subframe connectors, springs, 31 spline axles, stronger differential.

If you get blown, 4.10's will probably be too much gear for the car at the track. 3.73's or even 3.55's may be a better choice.

If you build up the rear, that will also let you be able to run et streets or et drags at the track, with some piece of mind that you're not going to break a stock axle or differential.

Quick Reply: $3000. Boltons VS Used Procharger