4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

FOR ANYONE WITH THROTTLE BODY AND PLENUM QUESTONS

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: FOR ANYONE WITH THROTTLE BODY AND PLENUM QUESTONS

The only problem with all this.... is that the company doing the selling is the one doing the dyno tests.

MM&FF, which have nothing to sell (usually anyway) have done several throttlebody/plenum shootouts with the dyno. None of them showed gains anywhere close to 10 WHP, and none of them showed gains comparing a 70 to 75MM t/b (at least not more than 1-2 WHP at best).

I made 420 WHP thru a 70mm t/b on 10 PSI.... it must not be much of a restriction, espcially on a boltons only car. My car also made 256+ WHP on stock computer tune, boltons only, with said t/b.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:46 AM
JayDs Ibanez
3rd Gear Member

good info
Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
ucannvrhav2mchpi
1st Gear Member

tmas99 if that was to me i was pretty much saying the exact same thing as you. And cai + t/b+ plenum + Lower manifold + new heads +new cams + exhaust that's the only way any of them really make a difference or f/i atleast on my np/i car with my heads and intake being as restictive as they are.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:01 PM
kushal_22
1st Gear Member

I too Am looking at this as my Next "Bolt On" and reading this has pretty much answerd all my questions....all but one. Is this something i can put on myself in my Garage and if so how long should it take?

Thanks
Mal
Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

You can do it in about an hour or less in your garage with just basic hand tools.

Now Does anyone know any numbers for a professional products setup?
Old 06-28-2008, 08:23 PM
kushal_22
1st Gear Member

Wonderfull! Thanks.
After I asked the question i Found a "Sticky" it showed how to Port the OEM Plenum. So i guess I jumped the Gun a bit there.....My Bad. I think I would rather just buy a new Plenum for the peace of mind that it will all fit and workas supposed to i will pay the 100 to 120 bucks

Thanks for your replies guy`s.

Mal
Old 06-28-2008, 08:48 PM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

i need a throttle body to go with my KB. i can pick up a BBK for $200 and i've heard they're on par with Accufabs. should i go with that? are all the throttle bodies pretty much the same performance-wise?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The OEM plenum is an inherentlyhobbled design, as it could have been made taller and allowed better flow through the elbow.No amount of porting can fix this, all aftermarket plenums are 5/8" to 3/4" taller and produce far better flows that the OEM plenum.[/align][/align]Here is my reformatted and annotated version of Accufab's flow bench data, a link to their original data is provided...[/align][/align]And, as many have said, those HP gain numbers posted in the original thread are a load of crap...[/align]
Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 AM
palerider22

what is the best tb and mas combo for a pretty much stock 96 stang
Old 07-17-2008, 05:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If by "pretty much stock" you mean that no exhaust work has been done then do that first before spending money on a TB & plenum. A catted (or o/r if you wish) 2-1/2" X or H-pipe, and 2-1/2" catback will be far less restrictive then the stock exhaust and give a noticeable boost at higher revs.[/align][/align]Next, for a non-PI engine and 'twas me, I'd get a premium fuel tune (93 if you can get it) which will add considerabletorquebetween 2000 and 4000 rpm due to the timing advance possible with the higher octane fuel.[/align][/align]The plenum is the weak point in the OEM intake* and since thevolumetric efficiencyof the non-PI engine is not all that great (that's whyFord was able to add 35 HP with the PIchanges)the stock 65 mm TB is probably sufficient if mated to almost any aftermarket plenum.[/align][/align]As for the "best TB/plenum", Accufab's is generally considered to be the best-best however the TrickFlow/Professional Products (they are the same) cost about 1/2 as much and offer 95%+ of the performance. And again, and I do mean to harp on this, on a non-PI engine (even with a tune) an aftermarket TB/plenum will add very little noticeable gain.[/align][/align]======================[/align]* - Here areAccufab's flow numbers (reformatted)for a variety of TB/plenum combinations, you'll see that the 65 mm TB onany aftermarket TB will flow enough air to keep a non-PI engine happy.[/align]

Quick Reply: FOR ANYONE WITH THROTTLE BODY AND PLENUM QUESTONS