MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   "Driver mod" (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/299565-driver-mod.html)

Firestang55 06-04-2007 08:53 PM

"Driver mod"

I see many posts in here about how someone beat someone else because they were a better driver. Irarely if never see where someone says they got beat by a better driver. I know that mustangforums.com is not full of the best drivers in the world, so lets go guys. Own up.
Lets hear about the ones you lost because you screwed up.

Also, for those of you that feel you are excellent drivers, how about posting some tips on how to do it correctly. I for one would love to hear them. I'll admit, I suck in a straight line. It's new to me. I'm more used to track driving.

I post this, because I thought I was decent, and got smoked by a cobalt ss. I could use the help. Rematch pending.

POISND U 06-04-2007 09:03 PM

RE: "Driver mod"

I had a guy roll up on me with a Z06 a couple weeks ago...
I didn't even bother.[:@]

Hulk99 06-04-2007 09:15 PM

Just two days ago I raced a new saleen GT. I kept up pretty well until the light turned green. Surprisingly, I also raced a a SC 281 01? and it barely beat me from a dig to 80ish.

96GT226410 06-04-2007 09:33 PM

On my first 5.0 MustangI screwed up the second to third shift bad. It had the stock shifter in it at the time. I tried to go back and force it back into third and still nothing. I had to get off of the clutch and step back on it to get it to go into third. All in all, it took me about 4 seconds to shift to third and in that time the Neon was ahead of me and then backed off because he hit 60 mph. I was playing catch up with a '96 2.0 Neon with a fart can for a muffler. It was a dark day... :(

Adam03GT 06-04-2007 09:38 PM

I dont think there is necessarily a 'right' or 'wrong' way to do it. It just comes with experience and knowing your car...

For example i have two freinds with 06 GTs bone stock.. Both claimed to be excellent drivers... Well the guy thats 21 ran a 13.8 and the guy thats 18 ran 15.4 [:'(]....

Just keep practicing and you will get better and better. There is not a 'tip' that will magicly make you a better driver.

Firestang55 06-04-2007 09:51 PM

LOL. Now thats what I'm talking about. Those stories are funny.

Yeah Adam, I just need to work on getting my shifts down. I can't wait to run that Cobalt again.

2VNA 06-04-2007 11:38 PM

against a Vet, don't know the year but I spun through 3rd and got spanked it was in 2000

xcodegt 06-05-2007 12:38 AM

got a lil overzealous on a launch and lost a red light to red light with a Z71.
As for the better driver thing. Can someone explain why I beat my buddy's GT?

My mods: BBK LT's, O/R X, 3.73's, CAI, and Diablo tuner on 275 street tires

His mods: CAI, plenum, TB, BBK shorties, O/R X, 4.10's, Diablo, Patriot heads w/comp cams, A/C delete, underdrive pulleys, Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP HD clutch, Short throw shifter, EGR delete, Rear seat delete, Borla Catback,315 drag radials.

My ET is a tenth quicker and his speed is 1mph higer than mine on an honest runs consistently. Honestly what the hell difference does knowing how to drive make?

01GT4.6 06-05-2007 12:41 AM

I rarely got beat (on the street).... maybe once and it was my mistake. I was on slicks vs. a pullied 03 cobra and launched too low of an rpm and the car bogged, I ended up on his back bumper due to a mess up launch. I have never claimed to be a good driver but everyone else that I know seem to think that I am.

72MachOne99GT 06-05-2007 01:18 AM

14.545@99.37 with a 2.226 60' my first time out with 4.10's, o/r H and a catback.....

doesnt get a whole lot worse than that....

I recently went 13.8 when I shoudl be going 13.5's..

my 60' times with MT ET Street Radials are constantly int he 2.1's - 2.2's

I'm in NO way a good launcher, im a better shifter though *with the stocker*