4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My opinion on open headers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:25 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default My opinion on open headers...

Well I have not seen this on a Mustang but the technology is there for us.... So incase some ofyall wanted to go thisroute, this is just my review of what I've seen.

Abuddy of minehas a LT-1 era Z-28 Camaro that has LT headers that opens up to the side and directs the exhuast away from the Y-Pipe (Thats what the Camaro's have I think) and pretty much becomes open headers at the touch of a switch. If your having trouble picturing this, its at the head of the headers where the manifolds meet with the mid pipe. When you want to run the exhuast through the mid pipes to the axle backs... you leave it closed.... But I guess when you want stupidly loud noise and a slight increase in power, you hit a switch, the manifold closes up and redirects the air flow from the mid pipes and out the side of the headers. (Meaning exhuast comes directly from the motor through the headers and out the sides without going through cats or muffelers)

Now his exhuast set up included....

Long Tubes w/ Open headers option (Unknown brand name)
Y Pipe Catted(SLP I believe)
Mufflers (Magnaflow)

With the headers closed his car tone was nice and deep sounding. Good for daily driving and did not create much noise. The ride quility of the car is what you'd expect from any LT-1Catfish..... Cramped interior, ugly dash, ugly center consel, blah blah blah..... The down low torque that you get from the car is impressive.

Flipped the switch and immediately you can tell at an idle the sound change. It went from a low pitched clunk clunk clunk (He has pretty aggresive cams) to more of a clank clank clank.

Sound quality in my opinion was not better. It became almost impossible to have a conversation with him without yelling. The accerleration seemed to increase a little and throttle response was pretty much instantaneous. There where no dyno-graphs to gauge this increase but I know I could feel a difference.

So would I reccomend it? Hmmmm..... It sounded likeDo-Do on a Catfish. But then again what doesn't? (ahaha J/K, I love Camaros in a secret type of way) If you know how to install long tubes and know a little thing or two about wiring, this is pretty much self explanatory to install. He bought his used for 500 bones. Not sure of the retailer brand name either.

Is it worth it IMO?

No.... If you really wanted a straight through system, go ahead and get a full SLP exhuast set up with LT and SLP LM I cat backs. At least it directs the sound out the *** end of the car instead of right underneath and to the side of you. The vibration at an idle was kinda nauseating coupled with the smell of fumes which I thought was close to life threating when we sat under an overhead in a bank drive through.

Hope this helps on any of yall that was deciding on this set up.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:53 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My opinion on open headers...

This maybe alright for NA... but dont FI cars like more backpressure by have a full exhaust system? Maybe thats why you dont see that alot on mustangs with are low compression, we can run many different types of FI whereas the LSx motors have more compression to them.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Well on that note Gold.... For some of us that have higher compression motors, like I know some of us use nitrous setups with custom built motors and such.I guess something like this would be good. The increase in power is nothing BIG.... but as far as sound.... the only open header car I heard in person was Code's notchback, which I think was still dumped at the mid pipes. SOUNDED LIKE A BEAST!Again that car has a different motor then we have so I dunno....
Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Yea, if your NA with a stroker and nitrous (ZW99GT) or someone like Code... this is probably a pretty awesome option. Sound is great, but mostly for the track. Unless you just wanna go deaf at an early age

I'm curious as to what open headers would do for someone like 2000GT4.6 or someone and compare that to full exhaust and see what the differences would be.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:41 AM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

Hey man, my buddie has an LT1 camaro and we just cut the cat off using a saw zall. Comming off the headers there is a pipe that connects the 2 and runs along the passanger side, after just dropping the cat the car is INSANLY LOUD! I love it. It sounds like its cammed. Just get some 8" blades becasue the standard 6" ones will not cut all the way though the exhaust pipe.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:43 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Well Boost levels will drop of course because of the lack of back pressure. Power levels should still increase. Again boost is the amount of pressure and has alot to do with resistance. Just because you push 12 psi doesn't mean you'll push loads of power. I have a 12 psi rated pulley and with the long tubes and other stuff, I dropped down to 8 psi. Which kinda sucks becuase I like seeing the boost gauge rise.The needlebarely goes anywhere on mine because my gauge goes to 30 psi.[:@]
Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

it sounds like you are talking about cutouts. I have a set that I need to get installed when my motor goes back in.
Click here to see Video
Old 06-13-2007, 03:16 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I took my catback off Sunday to clean it. I drove around with an open X pipe, and I though it sounded pretty damn mean. Very race car-ish. Loped harder, and was super loud at idle. Not really sure about the power levels, but I may yank that thing off again, and trailor the car to the track. I'll let you know if it does anything.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:25 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

I took my catback off Sunday to clean it.
are you serious? You can't possibly be that ****....
Old 06-13-2007, 03:26 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

I took my catback off Sunday to clean it. I drove around with an open X pipe, and I though it sounded pretty damn mean. Very race car-ish. Loped harder, and was super loud at idle. Not really sure about the power levels, but I may yank that thing off again, and trailor the car to the track. I'll let you know if it does anything.
Damn Zach... ur car is loud as it is. I can only imagine it with the catback off [&:]

Anyways, good luck... and get your clutch in soon. My drag radials come in thursday this week as my subframes will be welded in. 7.50's here I come.I'm hoping for maybe a lil more than that tho.

Quick Reply: My opinion on open headers...