4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

aluminum drive shaft???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:22 PM
dgantt
1st Gear Member

Default aluminum drive shaft???

Any body have any comments on an aluminum drive shaft, thinking about getting on and I what to know if its worth the money. Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 PM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: aluminum drive shaft???

IMO, spend the money on something else. If you have lots of money, sure...go get it, but they aren't that much lighter than the stock piece. At least not for the price IMO
Old 07-09-2007, 01:56 PM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

My Frpp aluminum driveshaft was alot lighter than my stock, and I believe they are stronger than stock also.. It is worth the money--IMO
Old 07-09-2007, 03:53 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I only did one because a shop screwed me over and gave me a bum yoke when I got the car back. I didn't notice any performance gain, and I beilve it was either 8 or 9 pounds lighter than stock, I weighed it at work and wasn't really impressed with the difference.

IMO unless you need it for some reason (bad yoke etc) save your money.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 PM
JimboGT01
3rd Gear Member

Once the car is running again i am going to comment on this. my setup is: Findaza al. flywheel, Dual Friction stage 2 clutch, and al. drive shaft, with 4.10s..........also i dont think it will make a big diff. but i order some billet lightweight cam gear spacers (i lost mine[:@]) and they are suppose to be 80% lighter than stock to help with quicker acceleration. IDK thought "what the hell" u know...
jimbo
Old 07-09-2007, 04:16 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

Don't bother with aluminum driveshafts for your mildly modified cars. You don't need them. Put your money into other things.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
zincyellowgt
1st Gear Member

I had the FRPP aluminum driveshaft (and safety loop) put in my car in hopes to minimize the possiblity of trailoringthe little yellow buggy home from the track. Ths old D?S u-joints were beginning to click so I figured why not replace the whole thing? The cost difference to get it done was not that big a difference. Bigger yokes, better U-joints, less mass (every little pathetic bit helps) and stronger over all than stock. For the most part it is a comfort move more than anything. I do notice less back lash now which clearly indicates the old U-joints were weak.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 AM
robbie01gt

Originally Posted by zincyellowgt
I had the FRPP aluminum driveshaft (and safety loop) put in my car in hopes to minimize the possiblity of trailoringthe little yellow buggy home from the track. Ths old D?S u-joints were beginning to click so I figured why not replace the whole thing? The cost difference to get it done was not that big a difference. Bigger yokes, better U-joints, less mass (every little pathetic bit helps) and stronger over all than stock. For the most part it is a comfort move more than anything. I do notice less back lash now which clearly indicates the old U-joints were weak.
yea im in the same siuation my u joints pops when i down shift so il replace the whole thing. anybody know how many spines in my yoke
Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Some of you should realize that not every modification done to a car is just to gain horsepower. I've read enough about a smoother ride at freeway speeds and less driveline vibration and a tiny SOTP feeling that I'm going to spend a couple bucks on one for my car.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

The benefits will be greater on a high horsepower car.

Quick Reply: aluminum drive shaft???