4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Anyone here know how to properly Drift?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone here know how to properly Drift?

ORIGINAL: youkairyu32

Entering a corner the brake should be applied to take weight off the front tires and help with the weight shift,
Umm.... yeah......wouldnt that apply weight to the front tires?

Anyway, to drift a stang is not very difficult, especially fox bodies. NO drag racing suspension will NOT work. Its too soft and itll bite at the wrong times (low power). The suspension needs to be really firm with almost no give. Also, tires really important factor need to be a hard compound.

And as for drifting, I used to practice on dirt roads. Just cruising down a dirt road and fishtailing my car at around 45 mph, just back and forth down the road, kind of how rally drivers rock their cars before turns, but the *** would swing out farther. And when I wanted to enter a turn I would exagerate the steering to which way I wanted to go and counter through the turn. I never needed to even touch my brake pedal or push the clutch in. Its all in throttle control.
Doing donuts is a good suggestion. Itll help you learn proper throttle control. You kind of want to pump the gas, not just mash it. When you want more traction simply let off a little and when you want less traction apply more throttle.
-P.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:53 PM
StealthGT2V
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

ORIGINAL: StealthGT2V

no, I def would not try it on a drag suspension...That could possibly end up in a disaster, the whole point is to not have traction but to maintain the car at a stable rate..

Here is everything you need to know to get started..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport)
Thank you very much kind sir!
no problem, anytime....
Old 07-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Sec2Nun
1st Gear Member

mustangs are besides the 240s etc mustangs are probably one of the best cars to drift in. the only problem that they have is counter steering but with a few mods you can fix that.and i definatly agree with stealth you dont wanna drift with a drag suspension when you drag you want a stiff suspension when you drift you want a soft but firm suspension. oh yea and its very possible to drift in a fwd car go to streetfire.net and type in arab drift these guys get sick angle the only down fall is that you have to be going 100 plus mph. Ha but its freakin funny *** hell check it out. if you get a chance pic up the drift bible its a good movie to learn to drift in.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ColinGT

**** i dont use an e brake, i justdont have my traction control on and whip it aruond a curb or i did try to drift this long *** bend at my school parkin lot, lol i got half way n got almost completely sideways tehn pulled it back in, i got scared haha
This kid at school had a nice sn 95..he was tryin to drift and hit a telephone pole. stupid ***
Old 07-10-2007, 11:22 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Good morning ladies!!!!! lol

...... And I never realized how crowded the entire state of Jersey was when I lived there until now......... HOLY ****!!!!! How can you even stand driving with a 5speed car here? My left leg would fall off! From I-95 in the morning to Rt42, to Rt676...... WTF??? I feel for Stang Owners in Jersey.... Specially with the emissions laws.[:@]Can't even get away with Hi-Flow cats here. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK TO TEXAS!

Yes you can.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:48 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Drifting: the only way to make a slow car look fast while burning up a set of 350 dollar tires!

Drifting FTL
Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 PM
blee69mustang
4th Gear Member

what helped me the most was knowing my car inside and out. i drive roughly 130 miles a week of free driving to "know my car". granted i go through a lot of gas, but once you know your car and how it handles, its totaly worth it. and took a drifting school, that helped me immensely. if you really wanna know how to do it properly and have some one help i would highly recommend a drifting school.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 AM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

i find it pretty easy to drift but i have been around cars all my life... best way to learn is in the rain in a nice open parking lot or on a really wide street with no cars any where.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blee69mustang

what helped me the most was knowing my car inside and out. i drive roughly 130 miles a week of free driving to "know my car". granted i go through a lot of gas, but once you know your car and how it handles, its totaly worth it. and took a drifting school, that helped me immensely. if you really wanna know how to do it properly and have some one help i would highly recommend a drifting school.
You acutally paid someone to teach you how to drive slowly around a corner and ruin your tires?

I can see autocross (even if I am not into it) and just about any other sport involving automobiles, but drifting is just straight gay.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:04 AM
blee69mustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: blee69mustang

You acutally paid someone to teach you how to drive slowly around a corner and ruin your tires?

I can see autocross (even if I am not into it) and just about any other sport involving automobiles, but drifting is just straight gay.

it was pretty fun though. i thought it was worth it.

Quick Reply: Anyone here know how to properly Drift?