4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lowered Mustang by Cutting Spring Coils

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowered Mustang by Cutting Spring Coils

It looks good, It's YOUR car, you have to encure any and all negatives, so anyone that doesn't like it should bite it... Maybe you keep it or maybe you don't, at least you'll be able to enjoy your car with a little more jazz and you know that you put 4 hours of hard work and sweat into your car. Which I can say is more than a lot of "so called" car people do. Good job, keep it up...
Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 PM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

I cut mine just about the same way as in this write up and I love how it sits now. I don't notice any bumpsteer and the car handles much like it did before the cut. I live where there are a lot of rough roads and the car handles fine. Good write up.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 PM
greenyGt
1st Gear Member

any trouble with speed bumps?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 PM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greenyGt

any trouble with speed bumps?
No, I haven't had any trouble with speed bumps. The only thing that gets me is my girlfriends driveway...it's a ramp that goes straigh to level....my o/r h pipe scrapes a little bit. But the car actually handles better on country roads.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:49 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

You should not notice that much more bumpsteer than what your started with. Mustangs suspension were not that great of a design. It was a compromise, anyway, before you started your tie rod ends and a arm were angled up and to prevent bump steer they should be level, since they were angled up already and now they are angled up more, the increase of bump steer should be minimal. Good job and great write up! enjoy
Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

My only question is, WHY would you remove the strut when you didn't have to? Seems a pointless risk to the allighnment.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:04 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

My only question is, WHY would you remove the strut when you didn't have to? Seems a pointless risk to the allighnment.
??

Granted I did my struts/springs at the same time, but is it even possible to get the spring out without a bunch of stored energy if you do not remove the strut also?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 PM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

??

Granted I did my struts/springs at the same time, but is it even possible to get the spring out without a bunch of stored energy if you do not remove the strut also?
No. The stock 4x4 springs still contain a lot of energy even after the strut is fully extended. You can loosen the strut up top and drop it out of the fender without removing the lower 2 bolts. Then you can proceed to discharge the spring energy with your jack.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 AM
farseek1
1st Gear Member

What a stirbut he sure knows how to give concise tips and instructions.......................EAT UR HEARTS OUT, MUSTANG MONTHLY,FAST FORDS, and
all the DIY wishbooks, this guy should be editing most of your articles. Could go in the publishing business. Super Nice Layout, "By God it's no fun if you can bolt it on"
and if the ride suits him..........so be it. Give EM Hell calafis-1987.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:31 AM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

Or you can just remove the 2 bolts that hold the strut to the a-arm and you don't have to mess with the alignment. That's how i did it atleast.

Quick Reply: Lowered Mustang by Cutting Spring Coils