4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Not Just Paying for a Brand Name

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Twan

Default Not Just Paying for a Brand Name

I am looking to purchase an 01-02 GT for maybe 10-11, but my mother insists I'd just be paying for a brand name, and getting something like a Chevy Cavalier from Carmax would be a much better alternative.

I know they are high quality, as well as cool cars, but is there anything I could show her to back that up?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:50 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Not Just Paying for a Brand Name

in general, name brands dont effect the price of a car, especially not a newer one. i dont know where your mom gets her logic.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:12 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

man face it your parents dont want you to have afastcar. you will hear the insurance will be to high or you wont be able to afford the gas sh*t like that. maybe if you put up a strong front and tell them how responsible you are and how you will help with the gas and insurance and maybe good grades they will let you get one. its not that one brand is better or more reliable than the other its a personal choice. and face it if you get a car you dont like you wont take care of it. get a car that you are in love with and you will focus all your extra time toward it and maybe it will keep you out of trouble........ if you can keep your right foot off the gas!!!!! good luck!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 06:51 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I have never heard of a non-brand name car....would that be like a Fred's Fun Wagon?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:58 PM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

I dont really understand what your mom means, I believe she saying something about how long its been around(that should be a good thing).

But I think she just wants you to get a so called SAFE car(Cavalier)
Old 09-02-2007, 07:07 PM
clix813
4th Gear Member

My sisters cavalier sure did fold when she got into a accident. And she was at a dead stop and some one hit here going 30 the front just crumbled and ruined the engine the insurance guy looked at and right a ways said totaled. I think a mustang would do better in a crash test then a cavalier.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:09 PM
GoTigersJoe
1st Gear Member

From a quality standpoint a Cavalier is one of the worst things you could possibly buy. Along with a Pontiac Sunfire and a Neon (non SRT4) you've got some of the cheapest components ever put on an automobile. A Focus isn't very far above either of those either, if at all.

Aside from the obvious performance issue of not having any at all in an econocar, you are also ten thousand times less likely to pick up a date in one. Just some food for thought.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:45 PM
WOH HRSY
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

I have never heard of a non-brand name car....would that be like a Fred's Fun Wagon?
x2
Old 09-02-2007, 08:56 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Exactly what I was thinking....[>:]

You sound like you're young, so I figure that makes your mom, what, 40 to 50ish?
Is she Amish or something?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:01 PM
paper doll

huh? is chevy not a "name brand" now, tell her they don't sell generic brandcars down at the big k! there are some cars that you pay for the name, like cadillac, viper, ferrari, etc, but not a blue collar car like a mustang

ps i take it back, i forgot about pintos

Quick Reply: Not Just Paying for a Brand Name