4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Clutch advice please.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:38 AM
krm486
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch advice please.....

My spec stg 1 has been very good to me. I would suggest the steeda 3pc adjuster kit. Well worth the $99.00
Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 AM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ripped camel

I'm supposed to have my Fidanza aluminum flywheel (which I've already purchased) & a FRPP clutch (which I'm buying from the shop) installed tomorrow. Problem is I have an 03 GT and the FRPP on every site says it's a 10.5" disk. I've read many places my car has an 11" plate. So here's the problem.

The guy told me that he won't know if it'll work till he gets the tranny apart. If it doesn't fit right he said I'll have to order another clutch. I don't want to order the Spec stage 1 as I've heard way to many horror stories for my liking. I'm one of those that always ends up being the worst case scenario, so I don't want to take my chances with it.

I'm also not looking to spend $300+ for a clutch. I don't have enough to cover that. So I've narrowed it down to a few options but don't know which way to lean. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Mcleod clutch.....
http://www.steeda.com/products/clutc...sure_plate.php

Ram stage 1clutch......
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8ram.htm

Steeda clutch kit.........
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...e_clutches.php

Mods are in my sig. I don't plan on ever adding a power adder. will eventually do minor thing like typhoon intake mani, accufab plenum & tb, SCT X2 & 3.73's. That's about it.

If anyone has had experience with any of these post up. If you personally know someone that had any experience with any of these post that up too. Thanks.
STAY AWAY FROM RPM OUTLET! DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!

... Just giving you a heads up. They're bad to do business with.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 AM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

But to add a little to what 2000GT4.6 is saying, you'll hear a lot of mixed reviews with Spec. The majority of Spec owners love their clutches (especially the Spec 3). But there's also the select few that have had bad experiences with them, and would never put another one in their car or recommend one to someone else.

Now about your options, I'd say give the Ram a try. Just be sure your order it from someone else.People whohave Ram clutches seem to be really happy with them.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Machalicious
2nd Gear Member

Not to steal your post my man, but could someone explain to me why you wouldn't prefer a light weight flywheel over stock, and to add to that, why a light weight flywheel is not recommended for daily driving? Also, how much is a clutch install usually and..
what does a ..
steeda 3pc adjuster kit. Well worth the $99.00
do for me? My drivetrain knowledge of the Mustang isn't up to par. But that's what you guys are for.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:42 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Okay so I ended up going with some clutch called valejo or something like that. I found out that a few companies outsource clutches and all are using that same exact clutch. The guy I talked to when I was at the shop says that's what he's installed on a few terminator mustangs, so if it's good enough for that car, my car should run fine on it.

As for the aluminum flywheel. I'll post up how it drives after the install.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
krm486
3rd Gear Member

steeda 3pc adjuster kit. Well worth the $99.00 do for me?
After an aftermarket clutch install the pedal can sometimes become sloppy as hell. Pulling up on the pedal is suposed to self adjust it but more than likely it wont be right. This kit allows you to tighten the pedal back up and lets u set how high or low(on the pedal)you want the clutch toengage andrelease. For everday driving i keep mine in the middle but for days at the track i can set it up high for minimal movement.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:17 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Well my Spec Stage I is in for at $341.32 for labor, $90 over what I was quoted but that is understandable since they said they had problems with that one bell housing bolt near the starter.

Ask for adjusting the clutch with the stock quadrant, what the manual says doesn't work most of the time especially if your clutch cable is getting a little worn. Either reach down there and adjust the quadrant with your hands. Or if you can't get under there if you push the clutch all the way down and then slip your foot off quickly and let the pedal pop out that will usually force the ratcheting mechanism to adjust.