4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Clutch advice please.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch advice please.....

I'm supposed to have my Fidanza aluminum flywheel (which I've already purchased) & a FRPP clutch (which I'm buying from the shop) installed tomorrow. Problem is I have an 03 GT and the FRPP on every site says it's a 10.5" disk. I've read many places my car has an 11" plate. So here's the problem.

The guy told me that he won't know if it'll work till he gets the tranny apart. If it doesn't fit right he said I'll have to order another clutch. I don't want to order the Spec stage 1 as I've heard way to many horror stories for my liking. I'm one of those that always ends up being the worst case scenario, so I don't want to take my chances with it.

I'm also not looking to spend $300+ for a clutch. I don't have enough to cover that. So I've narrowed it down to a few options but don't know which way to lean. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Mcleod clutch.....
http://www.steeda.com/products/clutc...sure_plate.php

Ram stage 1clutch......
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8ram.htm

Steeda clutch kit.........
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...e_clutches.php

Mods are in my sig. I don't plan on ever adding a power adder. will eventually do minor thing like typhoon intake mani, accufab plenum & tb, SCT X2 & 3.73's. That's about it.

If anyone has had experience with any of these post up. If you personally know someone that had any experience with any of these post that up too. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:33 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Clutch advice please.....

Wtf did you buy a lightweight flywheel? Thats a BAD idea for a daily driver . . . .
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

I would have to say:
A: I dont have experience with those clutches
B: I got a Spec II clutch and lightweight flywheel for my stang and LOVE them. Very streetable and feels like stock
C: I got the lightweight flywheel and didnt notice much difference in it.

Not trying to step on any toes but, that is what I DO have experience with.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-10-2007, 08:32 PM
yelw02GT
3rd Gear Member

stock flywheel FTW, i wont get into details, and when it boils down its just a matter of opinion, its not like the car is gonna blow up or run like crap either way...buutt i have a spec stage one and its perfectly fine, kick *** clutch, never gets soft when im feeling...spirited if you know what i mean..how ever the TOB is crap and makes noise already so dont use the one they give you, get another one from somewhere
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 PM
mariotraci
2nd Gear Member

my tob from auto zone mades noises 2 day[:@]
but an 03 has an 11 in
Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone else got two cents to throw in?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Mcleod is considered as one of the best clutch companies out there. I chose SPEC, and couldt be happier
Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

^ I agree, I hear they are the best but, I think they were pretty expensive too if I am not mistaken. I honestly didnt look TOO much into them since I was pretty set on the SPEC(americanmuscle had them and I heard good things).
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-11-2007, 02:29 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I had the mcleod entry level and I was very happy with it. It had a light pedal and no chatter etc, and I didn't even have the flywheel resurfaced when I put it in.

I dunno who your hearing bad storys about spec though... I have never had a problem with my spec stage 3. I wouldn't recommned over a stage 1 for you, but its all the same company.

+1 on stock flywheel.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:17 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

My Spec Stage I is going in today, got it from American Muscle for $217, which isn't bad at all. This clutch should last me the rest of the car's life (only put ~3500 miles a year on the car). Only bad things I've ever heard about Spec clutches ended up being syncho problems in the end.

Quick Reply: Clutch advice please.....