MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   03 gt vert scoop (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/346803-03-gt-vert-scoop.html)

gee 09-18-2007 12:30 PM

03 gt vert scoop

hey, does anyone out there ever heard or seen a kit to make the non-functional scoop on my hood functional? I look at it and im thinking it can be done. I know that it would involve somemodification to the hood, anyone think it would be worth the time and effort?If i did it myself the cost would be very minimal, Im thinkingcombined with a K&N filter, and bigger mass air sensor maybebetter air flow than you standard cai.

arcticman37 09-18-2007 01:10 PM

RE: 03 gt vert scoop

I dont think that it would be worth the time/effort(/and cost?) Even if you do it I dont think you will net any gains. But if you want more cool air on your engine then go for it......Its just not something that I would do.

H0SS302 09-18-2007 01:24 PM

im looking at doing this on my vert. i found a mach 1 airbox for 15, all i need to do is cut and run some piping from the scoop to the airbox and fit in some type of filter system to keep out water. it would cost maybe 30 bux to do it. just a thinking problem in the end

MU71L4710N 09-18-2007 01:44 PM

the fake hood scoop is held on by 7 or 9 nuts on the bottom. take those off and it looks like a hood without a scoop. if you just want it to be a vent then cut out the second fake vent thats part of the hood and bolt the scoop back down. if ur wanting to make it ram air then i have no suggestions but im sure u can cut a hole in your hood and get a mach1 RAI to work.

btw tho, i would advise against making it functional as just an engine vent unless you plan on never driving in the rain (would be bad for water to pour strait onto your hot engine all the time)

H0SS302 09-18-2007 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

the fake hood scoop is held on by 7 or 9 nuts on the bottom. take those off and it looks like a hood without a scoop. if you just want it to be a vent then cut out the second fake vent thats part of the hood and bolt the scoop back down. if ur wanting to make it ram air then i have no suggestions but im sure u can cut a hole in your hood and get a mach1 RAI to work.

btw tho, i would advise against making it functional as just an engine vent unless you plan on never driving in the rain (would be bad for water to pour strait onto your hot engine all the time)
lol n e body with a brain can fabricate a system to drain water... lol and all you would have to do it get a mach1 airbox and some piping from a hardware store connect and your good to go.

gee 09-18-2007 11:09 PM

I have seen the way the dodge trucks pipe in there hood scoop to the standard filter box and it looks fairly easy to do, besides that im the type that doesnt like clones and non functionalparts likedummy scoops, giant spoilers, fake badgesand ugly ground effects that do nothing but weigh the car down. WOWsorry,I was on a role.But iwouldnt bother if there wouldnt be a gain in power. I was thinking coolforced air is bound to give it something.... Maybe im wrong

Stone629 09-18-2007 11:24 PM

I thought Americanmuscle.com had a shaker kit for GTs. Like $800. Don't try to modify your stock scoop to take in air! If you take the black plug out of the front of your scoop, as soon as you get over 100mph, it's gonna get snatched off. Those fasteners holding it on suck.I have a Mach, and love the shaker system, but it really doesn't add $800 worth of HP.

Stone629 09-18-2007 11:26 PM

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ramairshscsy.html

H0SS302 09-18-2007 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Stone629

I thought Americanmuscle.com had a shaker kit for GTs. Like $800. Don't try to modify your stock scoop to take in air! If you take the black plug out of the front of your scoop, as soon as you get over 100mph, it's gonna get snatched off. Those fasteners holding it on suck. I have a Mach, and love the shaker system, but it really doesn't add $800 worth of HP.
lol thats not true...iv been 140+ with my neighbor plently of times and his scoop stayed put. im not doubting that it cant happen because i know it does, but it wont happen the majority of the time

Stone629 09-18-2007 11:50 PM

Is his plug removed?