4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Give up your new mustang???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Give up your new mustang???

Safety? Air bags? haha, I'd take them out if I wasn't affraid of them blowing up in my face!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

It depends, if you DD an older car, its gonna get dung up, and scratched just like a new DD..

but you konw this since you used to do it anyways..

personally,, IF i had the money to DD a '69-72 mach, you better bet your *** I'd do it..

but it'd HAVE to require so much maintenance it wouldnt be funny

my dads put like, 1600 miles on his '72 since he got it in '03.... come on...

hes scared to have it break down, so i guess if you can pay for, or fix yourself, anythign that goes wrong.. go for it i suppose..
Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

if your giving up your creature comforts, I hope you have something else fora daily driver, if so, go for it. I sold my old truck, and wasnt even that old, because it kept busting down on me all the time. Id work on it longer than Id drive it. Thats why I got something newer, more reliable. I dont have the finances for a beater, YET
Old 09-19-2007, 07:00 PM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

You mention how nice it would be not to have a payment, but classic cars are now so expensive, it really wouldn't make any difference. You'd still need a loan to get a nice one.

Surely they're not as reliable, but they can be pretty good actually. Think about it, how much time do you already spend working on your car because you enjoy it? It would be much the same. My Challenger could be driven every day if I wanted to and could afford the gas . It doesn't have a/c though, and in TX that's not a luxury, it's a necessity.

If I were you, I would start saving $ as you can and at some point in the next 2-3 years you'll be able to buy a classic without too much concern AND be able to keep a daily driver. I've currently got 4 cars, although one is for sale. So I'll be keeping 3: my classic musclecar, my classic pickup and my newer DD Mustang. Luckily the wife has a company car, so I don;t have to worry about payments, ins, maintenance, etc. etc. on her car. It's NICE.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:04 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

Having both, I can say that I drive my '71 about 15 days a year it seems. Given that it is dragged out (drag shocks/struts, stiffening with subframe connectors, no A/C), it is a fun car, but just not ideal for driving a lot really. And with the heat like it is here in east Texas (with the added humidity) boy A/C is real nice. Honestly wish I could just get my money back out of it and slap a Kenne Bell in my GT and have the DD comforts with the weekend warrior HP whenever I want.

Edit: Not to mention I don't have the room to keep it here at my house. So its about 20 minutes away at my parents' and just a hassle to have to go all the way out there, then back into town just to enjoy tearing up the streets in it.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:04 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrChubs1

You mention how nice it would be not to have a payment, but classic cars are now so expensive, it really wouldn't make any difference. You'd still need a loan to get a nice one.

Surely they're not as reliable, but they can be pretty good actually. Think about it, how much time do you already spend working on your car because you enjoy it? It would be much the same. My Challenger could be driven every day if I wanted to and could afford the gas . It doesn't have a/c though, and in TX that's not a luxury, it's a necessity.

If I were you, I would start saving $ as you can and at some point in the next 2-3 years you'll be able to buy a classic without too much concern AND be able to keep a daily driver. I've currently got 4 cars, although one is for sale. So I'll be keeping 3: my classic musclecar, my classic pickup and my newer DD Mustang. Luckily the wife has a company car, so I don;t have to worry about payments, ins, maintenance, etc. etc. on her car. It's NICE.
lol you only need ac if your old! i never drive with the ac windows down ftw!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrChubs1

No it would be a DD. And, I can afford it. I don't care about gas, I'm not rich or anything but I managed for so many years before, I'm sure I can do it now too. Remeber I'm only paying for one now! lol And as far as affording one thats easy too, I just want to keep myself to only one toy. I put 25k a year on my Mach, i'm not worried about drivability. I guess I know what i'm going to do, just thought I would see what you all think.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

How would you go about finding an oldie like that?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I've bought my 73 nova for 1500, my 72 for 1800, and my 71 Mach for 3000 all of them where daily drivers and all were under 80k when I bought them. Rycycler baby!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:08 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

If you were putting 25K a year on a '71, then go for it.

Except, i dont recoomend 25K a year now, at 12-15mpg

lol.. calculations say at 15mpg, is 5000 dollars in GAS! WOWZA!

good luck though man, i'd LOVE to be able to DD an old car

Quick Reply: Give up your new mustang???