4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

MY MUSTANG BURNS TOO MUCH GAS. EVEN FOR A MUSTANG

Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 PM
gxszone
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: MY MUSTANG BURNS TOO MUCH GAS. EVEN FOR A MUSTANG

I used to also get only 160-180 miles to a tankful but now I am getting 250-260. Tomanagethis I: fixed a few vacuum leaks and replaced the hoses with a hard durable plastic so they won't collapse, oil change (synthetic blend), replaced spark plug & wires and dropped in aK&N air filter. I just took a trip from Miami to Tallahassee going 80-90mph and traveled 250 miles before I fueled up.. the gauage wasn't in the red yet so I assume maybe 10 more miles were left in her.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

nothing is wrong with your car, its a mustang, what your getting is average. Alot of people over exaggerate their mileage, so what your geting is normal for city driving.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:01 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

You had the fuel filter and injectors cleaned?? Sounds like some shop charged you $100.00 and sat around and looked at your car! Alot of shops like to charge for this service and dont really do anything! There was a whole news thing on it here in Vegas... channel 13 went to a bunch of different lube shops (all same company) and had them do different things... some vehicles they had hidden cameras on the undercarriage... some they marked the fuel filters... most the work they paid to have done was never done!!

You don't normall "clean" the fuel filter... this is usually replaced! I recomend replacing it if for nothing more than shiits n giggles! Do it yourself... its easy... or if you take it to a shop either watch them, or mark it with a marker!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:08 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

2000GT4.6 gets about the same i do!!! i drove to NCa couple of weeks ago....710 miles there and back. a full tank got me about 350 miles or so. i filled up once before i left goin and once before i came back!
I get an easy 21-22 MPG on the highway, even with blower + cams, but its terrible in town. Any WOT at all and the milage will drop to single digits.

its all in your right foot guys. Even my little DD 1.6L it makes a huge difference. Just chaging from 70 to 80 MPH on the highway makes a difference of 2-3 MPG in my 1.6L. One tank I can get around 37, the next 33, all in how I drive it (exact same 45 minute drive each day).

editto the OP: Try this. Your entire next tank of gas, pretend you have a block of wood under the pedal and cannot depress it more than 1/4 of the way. Then, never shift above about 3000 RPM. I bet you go up to 17-19 MPG city
Old 10-14-2007, 12:08 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

editto the OP: Try this. Your entire next tank of gas, pretend you have a block of wood under the pedal and cannot depress it more than 1/4 of the way. Then, never shift above about 3000 RPM. I bet you go up to 17-19 MPG city
Yeah....I guess I should try that sometime...[>:]
Old 10-14-2007, 01:19 AM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

do the IAC mod, according to my scangauge I am burning only .4GPH, vs stock at .8GPH, when at idle, only burns half as much gas, I am going to do my research on my next tank and see what we have....
Old 10-14-2007, 01:28 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i use to get 300 to a tank... now i get around 130-140 to a tank... not sure what happened to the car though. i think some parts i added decrease mileage.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:30 AM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

added power=more burned gas, thats how you make more power, by burning more fuel and at a quicker rate. NOW if were talking efficiency upgrades, different story....
Old 10-14-2007, 08:26 AM
joe904

If I had a dime for everytime i heard that, I would be a millionaire. Yea, I know I have a mustang, and if I wanted a fuel efficent car then I would get anothercar, but at what point can you say this gas guzzler is guzzling too much. This aint my first mustang so it aint like i dont have something tocompare it to.This is my fourth mustang. My first was a 91Mustang LX, 89Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible, 98 Mustang GT, and my car now 2000 Mustang GT.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:37 AM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

added power=more burned gas, thats how you make more power, by burning more fuel and at a quicker rate. NOW if were talking efficiency upgrades, different story....
This isn't always true. Adding power is making your car more efficent at the same time. When you get rid of your air flow restrictions, such as stock exhaust, air intakes, it makes you car more efficient while making more power at the same time. The harder it is to get fresh fuel and air into you motor, tricks your ecu to send more fuel to compensate the shortage. The ecu only has two choices in that catagory, more fuel, less fuel. If you were to combine these mods with a good tune... you will have good efficency with more power and if done right, better fuel mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MY MUSTANG BURNS TOO MUCH GAS. EVEN FOR A MUSTANG