4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New Steering Wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: New Steering Wheel...

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Is there a rooster on the steering wheel? Doesn't go with a sports car at all.... looks like something that should be in a bentley.... not really in a good way. The steering wheel isn't bad for a car like that with matching wood interior etc, but looks really out of place in the mustang.

Also did you check how much current runs through there? If you just got two 4.7 ohm resistors from radio shack odds are that thing is going to draw a ****load of current and burn the resistors.

Even at 5 volts 2.3 ohms its going to draw over 2amps which requiresatleasttwo 5watt resistors.
[/align][/align]That's Team VooDoo's logo, a prancing chicken--and I agree that it does not go well with a Mustang (which is a 2+2 GT coupe, not a sports car). It's what I had however...[/align][/align]Regarding the resistors, there is no significant current flow through the air bag sensing circuit; if there were the air bag would detonate... [/align][/align]The air bag controller passes a very small voltage (< 150 mV)from a high-impedance source (> 10k Ohms) through the squib (the detonator that sets the bag off and has a 2.3 Ohm resistance) to make sure it is in place and intact--the squib would detonate at anything over 8 V or so (assuming sufficient current capacity).[/align][/align]150 mV, across the paralled 4.7 Ohm resistors (=2.35 Ohms) = about 64 mA = about 100 mW; or about 1/5 the capacity of the paralleled 1/4W resistors (BTW, RS doesn't stock 4.7 Ohm resistors, I had to buy 50 from Newark Electronics--which means I've got 48 left if anyone needs any).[/align][/align]The resistors trick the controller into thinking the air bag is still there--they will of course fry if the controller deploys the non-existent air bag, however I suspect that would be the least of my problems at that point in time... [/align]
Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 AM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

It's different, but it would look better if it was black instead of wood grain. I like the styling of the wheel, just wood grain has not been in mustangs in about 35 years.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Is there a rooster on the steering wheel? Doesn't go with a sports car at all.... looks like something that should be in a bentley.... not really in a good way. The steering wheel isn't bad for a car like that with matching wood interior etc, but looks really out of place in the mustang.

Also did you check how much current runs through there? If you just got two 4.7 ohm resistors from radio shack odds are that thing is going to draw a ****load of current and burn the resistors.

Even at 5 volts 2.3 ohms its going to draw over 2amps which requiresatleasttwo 5watt resistors.
[/align][/align]That's Team VooDoo's logo, a prancing chicken--and I agree that it does not go well with a Mustang (which is a 2+2 GT coupe, not a sports car). It's what I had however...[/align][/align]Regarding the resistors, there is no significant current flow through the air bag sensing circuit; if there were the air bag would detonate... [/align][/align]The air bag controller passes a very small voltage (< 150 mV)from a high-impedance source (> 10k Ohms) through the squib (the detonator that sets the bag off and has a 2.3 Ohm resistance) to make sure it is in place and intact--the squib would detonate at anything over 8 V or so (assuming sufficient current capacity).[/align][/align]150 mV, across the paralled 4.7 Ohm resistors (=2.35 Ohms) = about 64 mA = about 100 mW; or about 1/5 the capacity of the paralleled 1/4W resistors (BTW, RS doesn't stock 4.7 Ohm resistors, I had to buy 50 from Newark Electronics--which means I've got 48 left if anyone needs any).[/align][/align]The resistors trick the controller into thinking the air bag is still there--they will of course fry if the controller deploys the non-existent air bag, however I suspect that would be the least of my problems at that point in time... [/align]

Ok that makes sense, I was gonna say if they didnt attenuate the voltage down those resistors are gonna blow. Ususally they dont drop the voltage levels in the cars, everything is made to work on either 5v or 12v.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The air bags do WORK (as in BOOM) at 8.0V, but you can pass lower voltages through the squibs to test them--very low, current limited,voltages to make sure they don't go BOOM...[/align][/align]You can use a good DVM to measure the squib's resistance, however I was willing to take the factory manual's specs rather than check it myself...[/align]
Old 10-14-2007, 08:10 PM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

its unique at least, and looks like a clean swap. I personally am not loving the style though.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

I think if the wood grain was black leather or something it would look OK. I think it looks too old school in a new style interior.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:07 AM
FR500GT
3rd Gear Member

Im all for getting a new steering wheel. But why the wood grain. I personally would have gone with black suede of some sort. But to each his own, i guess.

Hey at least you dont have to worry about any other stang copying you
Old 10-15-2007, 01:11 AM
dafizuck
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FR500GT

Hey at least you dont have to worry about any other stang copying you
The man makes a very good point... nice swap but have to jump on the b wagon with everyone else.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:04 AM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

+1... either paint it black, or sand it down and stain it darker.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 AM
TX97GT
2nd Gear Member

does anybody have a pic of a good looking replacement for my '97 with gray and black two tone interior? Mine is just looking a little worn on the top and bottom...
I might even look at a new oem one if they aren't really expensive, but it is ford... mucho $

Quick Reply: New Steering Wheel...