4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

EXHAUST QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:54 PM
burnell1

Default EXHAUST QUESTIONS

Hey evry1. I jus got a '03 GT for christmas and I cant wait to start puttin performance mods on it. I jus wanted to ask a few questions for those who like helpin us newbie's.
1. On exhaust systems, if you get a cat-back, do u have to get a mid-pipe also?
2. Is an exhaust system worth getting if I dont have enough money to get headers to pair em up with? And will it sound good if I dont have headers?
3. Is there any hp difference or sound difference between magnaflow cat-back and flowmaser cat-back?
4. Ive heard bad things about BBK where I come from...things like fitment problems on their headers and CAI...is that true for ya'll?
Well there's my questions, I cant think of anymore rite now but I will later. I cant believe I got sumthing ppl will turn their heads at, I've been wanting this for soooo long! I guess im gonna do exhaust for my first mod, cuz my stang is bone stock....and i want it RUMBLIN'!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:51 PM
tim2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: EXHAUST QUESTIONS

Congrats on the new ride! Doesn't take long for the mod bug to bite does it!!!

1. Any aftermarket catback will work with the stock midpipe.
2. Exhaust is definately worth getting, even without headers. The sound alone makes it worth it.
3. Not really any hp difference between the two, but a big sound difference. Search youtube for some sound clips. They both have multiple catback options.
4.BBK is a popular aftermarket manufacturer. Some people like to bash certain companies without having first hand experience with them. Most people here will probably give BBK good recommendations. I don't have experience with them.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 PM
OldSkool
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tim2002gt

Congrats on the new ride! Doesn't take long for the mod bug to bite does it!!!

1. Any aftermarket catback will work with the stock midpipe.
2. Exhaust is definately worth getting, even without headers. The sound alone makes it worth it.
3. Not really any hp difference between the two, but a big sound difference. Search youtube for some sound clips. They both have multiple catback options.
4.BBK is a popular aftermarket manufacturer. Some people like to bash certain companies without having first hand experience with them. Most people here will probably give BBK good recommendations. I don't have experience with them.
I think flowmaster sounds waaayy better than magnaflow. Another good thing is that they're a little cheaper. Magnaflow sounds like an angry bumblebee to me, whereas flowmaster has that traditional rumble most people are looking for.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:09 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

flows are the way to go! i actually have a pypes catted midpipe too and it makes it sound awesome! plus with the cai, and exhaust you can definately feel the pull
Old 12-26-2007, 11:11 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

I like bassani>flows>magnaflow

as far as BBK, I have their CAI, LTs, and o/r x, fitment it great, no complaints here
Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

I am running a BBK 70mm throttle body, BBK Plenum, BBk longtubes, BBK catless x-pipe. everything fits perfectly fine, works great, sounds great, no complaints at all.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 AM
tmas99
3rd Gear Member

i love the way my magnaflows sound... nice and crisp no pop... i really like flowmaster too... but i decided to go with magnaflow...
Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

had Flowmasters welded in and took them out and replaced with MAC SS catback. To me the MAC sounds much better than the flows, more of a deep richness to the exhaust note.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:42 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Go with the flows.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:42 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MJH78

had Flowmasters welded in and took them out and replaced with MAC SS catback. To me the MAC sounds much better than the flows, more of a deep richness to the exhaust note.
Thats your problem right there.

Quick Reply: EXHAUST QUESTIONS