4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

03-04 Cobra Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
pw_cc_runner

Default 03-04 Cobra Information

I posed this question in a photo section thread (https://mustangforums.com/m_4563524/...tm.htm#4587668) and I was advised to come here for the real scoop.

I am lookings to give my Street Rod Probe (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/693174) the muscle to back up the look. I take a lot of **** for having Cobra center caps in my Bullit wheels so that led me to start researching the 03-04 Cobra. At first I thought about a 302 because I know a lot of people have had success with the 302 in Miatas but after I saw a 65 Stang with an 01 Cobra motor I want to go that route. I'd like to go with the DOHC motor and the supercharged motor would be a huge bonus. From what I have gathered the Probe's wheelbase is 102.9 inches and the Mustangs is 101.3 and the rear end on the Probe is 69.8 inches and the Mustangs is 71.8 inches so in theory the mustang stuff will "fit". Seeing as I did the paint already on this car I'll be using a test mule body to fit all the stuff and then once the kinks are worked out I'll cut up my good car. Does anyone have any thoughts about the 4.6 or challenges I would encounter? I've thought about building a tubular chasis and mounting the body to it and I've also thought about skinning the probe body over the mustangs chassis too. I will have to use the suspension and steering from the stang along with the motor, drivetrain, and rear end. You guys know these cars better than I do so feel free to through anything out there.

PS. If you come up with a Flamer/Gay Probe joke I haven't heard I'll respect you double. [8D]
Old 02-09-2008, 02:35 PM
pw_cc_runner

Default RE: 03-04 Cobra Information

No one has any thoughts?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

i'd recommend asking people on a probe forum or something.. im sure some people here know about it.. but you'll probably get faster responses somewhere where people who are familiar with the under the hood space of the probe.. i also don't know know if that is the best motor to go with for the probe....

oh.. and at first i was thinking your car looks ricer'd out.. but in the end i decided i liked the way it looks.. my friend had a red probe.. in highschool (11 years ago)
Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 AM
pw_cc_runner

ORIGINAL: Mishri

i'd recommend asking people on a probe forum or something.. im sure some people here know about it.. but you'll probably get faster responses somewhere where people who are familiar with the under the hood space of the probe.. i also don't know know if that is the best motor to go with for the probe....

oh.. and at first i was thinking your car looks ricer'd out.. but in the end i decided i liked the way it looks.. my friend had a red probe.. in highschool (11 years ago)
LOL! I love how the opinions of it vary depending upon where I am... when I originally joined a muscle forum out of milwaukee they were like "nice car, great paint awesome wheels, but that body kit ugg" and the probe community love the body kit and wing but hates the wheels and paint. One successful RWD swap in a second gen was done by a local guy using a 2JZ Supra motor, a turbo 350 trans, and a Ford 9" rear. I've talked to him about bracing the car but otherwise the probe community is usesless. Believe it or not the engine bay on the Probe is 35.5 inches inner strut tower to inner strut tower and I measured an 03 Cobra at the dealer yesterday and the Cobra's is 35 inches and firewall to radiator support it is also larger.

What I am mostly looking to accomplish here is information about the various Mustang parts / years / benefits etc. I appreciate the help guys. I'm up to about 40 pages of notebook paper in information.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:50 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

One of the things you may have to give some serious thought is the weight difference betweentheoriginal Probe engine versus an 03or 04 Cobra4.6 L DOHC cast iron block motor with a big ol' M112 supercharger resting on top. You may be in store for somewicked front suspension mods for support. At the very least.....you'll have a front heavy Probe .
Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM
pw_cc_runner

That is why ideally I would like to use the mustang suspension and I have to use the mustang steering because the Probes steering rack is on the firewall. I've also been seriously considering the 04 Mach 1 motor because of the alluminum block.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:06 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Wow nice car. you did a great job painting it. Not feeling the rims with it but to each his own. Why don't you just twin turbo your engine? I think in the long run it would be cheaper!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 PM
jsmarsh25
3rd Gear Member

nice paint job. here's no 2 cents though......for as much as your'e going to have into this (basically a 03 cobra that looks like a probe), why don't you a)just go buy an 03 or 04 cobra or b)just twin turbo your probe as said above, and have more power than the cobra??? ur asking for a lot of headaches man......good luck with whatever you decide though.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:29 PM
echoman
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you really have done your homework, and will no doubt get your project done. Good luck with all of it. Anyways, about the 03-04 cobras, you could not have picked a better engine/tranny combo IMO, the motors come forged and from what I have read the tranny is nearly unbreakable. When starting with a platform like that you can always up the boost, upgrade the stock blower, or even slap on a turbo and not have to worry about breaking anything. Also keep in mind that these cars came with IRS out back so depending on what your use for your car is going to be you might wantto consider getting asolid rear out of a GT model.

The Mach1 motor is a DOHC 4v, and comes with aforged steel crank but only has cast rods/pistons (in the5 speed only that is, autos came with cast crank) that are the same weak point in the GT models.Hope this helps.

Oh and if your inneed of adonor car check out this one:

http://www.prestigemustang.com/index...at=5&pic=1

These guys have countless mustangs of all makes and models.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:23 AM
pw_cc_runner

GREAT Link! Thank you...

Never MIND... called them and they were complete jerks.

Quick Reply: 03-04 Cobra Information