4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Why did Ford go with the 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:47 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why did Ford go with the 4.6?

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

ORIGINAL: silverstang1996

Just as the title says, I've been wondering why Ford ever swapped over from 5.0? I mean the 5.0 isn't really that great to start with but what's even good about a 4.6? They say they switched it over because it's more efficient, but I really don't understand how they can say this engine is efficient when GM introduced the LSx engines where they are about a whole liter larger, almost 100hp more, and they still can get like 30mpg, which is better than I can even imagine in my car. So could someone please educate me on this?
Kinda answered your own question
No, that is my question, how can they call this efficient? The 4.6 OHC motor is a terrible thought to be efficient. A 4.6 V8 with only 225, 260, now (which is a lot better) 300. How could Ford call this motor efficient when counterpart GM, as I stated, make more HP, more MPG, and even with more Liters! And lets not even delve into the efficiency of modding these engines, it just gets even worse..
Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlw2387

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

I know. that blistering 225 hp from the 5.0 pushrod motor was unbelievable
Yeah but its was way easier to get power out of a 5.0 than a 4.6. Plus they dont **** out at 450rwhp. They both have their advantages, but unfortunately the 4.6L is more in the "economy, interchangeability" region.
Try making a5.0L make more than 500 WHP on the stock block/internals... and then after you buy an afteramarket 5.0L block (forget the internals)come tell me that a shortblock for a 4.6L is expensive.

To answer the OP's question, ford wanted a "Modular" system where they could build mulitple engines for multiple platforms with the same basic parts and castings/manfuacture procedure. To understand how big of an advantage this is you need to understand how a factory setup works.

The more parts you build, the cheaper they are to build, the better you can build them (over time it improves) and the faster you can build them. If you can use a engine or even engine family in more than one platform, you can see how many more parts you could make and how much cheaper/faster it could be.

Ford decided the best way to do this would be to build an engine that would share many similar componets over different setups/displacement, and decided that the 4.6/5.4 etc systems would best suit their needs.

BTW, I always find it funny that the main people usually complaining about how much easyer and cheaper it is to build a 5.0 only have bolton only 2v cars. I raced plenty of bolton only 5.0Ls with my bolton only 4.6L, and none of them were anywhere close. IMO the 4.6L even in built engine form would make more power than the 5.0L IF the aftermarket support for true aftermarket heads were there... unforutnatly they are not. Try making big power from a 5.0L on the stock (even ported etc)e7 heads....
Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
AZsGr8est
1st Gear Member

because they are dumb
Old 04-21-2008, 07:58 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

ORIGINAL: DS002

Im fine with the whole ohc setup but I'd prefer some more displacement so we can at least keep up with our competition.
[/align][/align]Then I kind of fuzzy on whyyou bought a 4.6L Mustang?[/align][/align]Bob Hall (the self-renounced "father" of the Miata) used to have as his email tagline "If you can't drive fast with 90 HP then 900 won't help." While this is a bit of an exaggeration, it is fundamentally true--going fast and driving fast are two different things.[/align][/align]I once "out drove" an M3 Beemer, in my old 74HP early '86 Corolla sedan (the last RWD Corolla made), for 150 miles on I-10 between Tallahassee and Jacksonville... The poor jerk driving the M3 was beside himself by the time we turned south on I-95...[/align][/align][/align]
Even if I was john force the chances of me keeping up with an LS1 F-body stock for stock is slim and none unless the F-body is driven by someone with down syndrome.

Unless youre talking about Auto-x or other forms of track racing, in which case I wouldnt be driving a mustang. I bought a mustang for straight line speed, being a great drive compared to an average driver is only going to get you so far in cars like ours when it comes to racing in a straight line.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM
jlw2387
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Yeah but its was way easier to get power out of a 5.0 than a 4.6. Plus they dont **** out at 450rwhp. They both have their advantages, but unfortunately the 4.6L is more in the "economy, interchangeability" region.
Try making a5.0L make more than 500 WHP on the stock block/internals... and then after you buy an afteramarket 5.0L block (forget the internals)come tell me that a shortblock for a 4.6L is expensive.

To answer the OP's question, ford wanted a "Modular" system where they could build mulitple engines for multiple platforms with the same basic parts and castings/manfuacture procedure. To understand how big of an advantage this is you need to understand how a factory setup works.

The more parts you build, the cheaper they are to build, the better you can build them (over time it improves) and the faster you can build them. If you can use a engine or even engine family in more than one platform, you can see how many more parts you could make and how much cheaper/faster it could be.

Ford decided the best way to do this would be to build an engine that would share many similar componets over different setups/displacement, and decided that the 4.6/5.4 etc systems would best suit their needs.

BTW, I always find it funny that the main people usually complaining about how much easyer and cheaper it is to build a 5.0 only have bolton only 2v cars. I raced plenty of bolton only 5.0Ls with my bolton only 4.6L, and none of them were anywhere close. IMO the 4.6L even in built engine form would make more power than the 5.0L IF the aftermarket support for true aftermarket heads were there... unforutnatly they are not. Try making big power from a 5.0L on the stock (even ported etc)e7 heads....
Are you seriously saying a motor thats been around since 91 is gonna have better after market support than the 5.0 which has been around since 68 and is Fords most popular engine ever. Yeah the 4.6 has come along way in recent years, but if Ford went the LSx way and kept the 5.0L/5.8L, we'd be in a better position.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Are you seriously saying a motor thats been around since 91 is gonna have better after market support than the 5.0 which has been around since 68 and is Fords most popular engine ever. Yeah the 4.6 has come along way in recent years, but if Ford went the LSx way and kept the 5.0L/5.8L, we'd be in a better position.
Yeah, but look how much cheaper is Mustang is compared to the Camaro/Trans-Am/etc... The whole "modular" idea is that a big number of parts can be put into not just Mustangs. The LS1 is in what, the f bodies and the Vette? The 4.6 is also in the Explorer, and I'm sure in a few other V8 Ford vehicles. Even if it is just the explorer, think about how many more Explorers are made and sold when compared to the Vette. Mustangs also outsell F bodies.

Yeah, I'm sure if Ford kept in a bigger displacement, pushrod V8 in the Mustang the car would be faster, but on the other hand a good half of us here wouldn't have been able to afford the car we have right now.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Isn't the 5.0 "Cammer" motor modular? Why didn't Ford use that?

According to the books it puts out either 400hp or 500hp, I don't remember which one, but that would more than compete with the LSx motors!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

Yeah, but look how much cheaper is Mustang is compared to the Camaro/Trans-Am/etc... The whole "modular" idea is that a big number of parts can be put into not just Mustangs. The LS1 is in what, the f bodies and the Vette? The 4.6 is also in the Explorer, and I'm sure in a few other V8 Ford vehicles. Even if it is just the explorer, think about how many more Explorers are made and sold when compared to the Vette. Mustangs also outsell F bodies.

Yeah, I'm sure if Ford kept in a bigger displacement, pushrod V8 in the Mustang the car would be faster, but on the other hand a good half of us here wouldn't have been able to afford the car we have right now.
You're right, it's also in the Crown Vic, Mercury Grand Marquis, and the Lincoln Town Car.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

You're right. We would have big displacement motors that suck gas, bend stock pushrods, and don't like to be wound up without breaking stuff.

I'm sorry, but thats not even an argument, it's so speculative and no one can say FOR SURE what position Ford would be in if they had not gone modular. No one is contesting the fact that the 5.0 has better aftermarket support (actually you brought it up). 2000GT4.6 said it best

IF the aftermarket support for true aftermarket heads were there... unforutnatly they are not. Try making big power from a 5.0L on the stock (even ported etc)e7 heads....

Old 04-22-2008, 02:26 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Just as the title says, I've been wondering why Ford ever swapped over from 5.0? I mean the 5.0 isn't really that great to start with but what's even good about a 4.6? They say they switched it over because it's more efficient, but I really don't understand how they can say this engine is efficient when GM introduced the LSx engines where they are about a whole liter larger, almost 100hp more, and they still can get like 30mpg, which is better than I can even imagine in my car. So could someone please educate me on this?
Kinda answered your own question
No, that is my question, how can they call this efficient? The 4.6 OHC motor is a terrible thought to be efficient. A 4.6 V8 with only 225, 260, now (which is a lot better) 300. How could Ford call this motor efficient when counterpart GM, as I stated, make more HP, more MPG, and even with more Liters! And lets not even delve into the efficiency of modding these engines, it just gets even worse..
Your kidding right? the 4.6 not efficient? Granted it's not a ferrari motor, but I think that getting 300hp from the factory (400 with the new 3v's on good engine combinations) is pretty efficient for an engine with 80 less cubes. Their entire 80 extra cubes only get them 100hp more?

I mean think about it, we have 281CID=300hp , their base form F-body has 350CID=350-400hp. That just seems terribly innefficient to me

Quick Reply: Why did Ford go with the 4.6?