4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

how to tighten loose steering??

Old 04-24-2008, 11:09 AM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

Default how to tighten loose steering??

ever since i installed my longtubes ive allways had this play in my steering wheel.. my steering wheel will move left and right but my car will still be going straight.. its annoying as hell especially since dfw roads are horrible because of all the construction and i allways feel like im drivin all over the road but its just my mind playin tricks on me because im moving the steering wheel both ways... and even if im turning on a long left curve i have to hold the steering wheel a little to the right to make the curve. so anyways is there a bolt i can tighten that will fix this. or will i have to buy a new steering shaft? thanks guys
Old 04-24-2008, 11:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: how to tighten loose steering??

You will need to more exactly diagnose the problem. It could be as you speculate that a "bolt" has come loose, there are two pinch bolts that fasten the steering shaft toan upper U-joint, and the lower flexible drive to the rack.[/align][/align]The first thing to look at would of course be whatever was loosened/remove when the LTs were installed, however there are also some couplings in the steering column assembly itself (between the actual steering wheel shaft and the steering column intermediate shaft). Then there are also other possible causes such as a bad steering gear, or one or both tie-rod ends being worn.[/align][/align]You need to have an assistant rock the wheel back and forth while you try to determine where the slop is...[/align]
Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 PM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how to tighten loose steering??

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

You will need to more exactly diagnose the problem. It could be as you speculate that a "bolt" has come loose, there are two pinch bolts that fasten the steering shaft toan upper U-joint, and the lower flexible drive to the rack.[/align][/align]The first thing to look at would of course be whatever was loosened/remove when the LTs were installed, however there are also some couplings in the steering column assembly itself (between the actual steering wheel shaft and the steering column intermediate shaft). Then there are also other possible causes such as a bad steering gear, or one or both tie-rod ends being worn.[/align][/align]You need to have an assistant rock the wheel back and forth while you try to determine where the slop is...[/align]
damn, i was hoping this would be a simple fix but oh well... the only thing i did was remove the steering shaft because mac longtubes require the shaft to go between the header. i dont know if this has anything to do why it messed up, but while i was reconnecting the shaft i couldnt get it to fit and i had spun it around alot until i finally got it to fit. but ill try and get some time and lift the car to see were the sloppiness is. thanks cliffyk