4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

shifter handles...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default shifter handles...

Im looking for a custom handle that will fit either shifter that is longer and angled further back than what both shifters currently offer. I don't care about having the shortest throw, I want a shifter thats comfortable and easy to reach but doesn't have the sloppy stock feel. I have to position the seat all the way back and tilt the seat back into the back seat just so I can fit in the car. This results in the shifter handle being in an awkward position. Anyone know where I can get different/custom handles?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:26 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: shifter handles...

I like the hurst pistol grip. Very comfortable, but some don't like the looks of it.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The "sloppy stock feel" is only partly in the handle (there's a rubber isolator where the handle bolts to the shift lever), much of it is in the stock shift mechanism itself.[/align][/align]MGW used to offer two handles, on shorter and one longer, however AFAIK the longer handle is no longer available (I contacted them about this 9 or 10 months ago).All of the other aftermarket shifters use handle mounting methods that are very similar or identical to the stock mount, some of these are adjustable [/align][/align]I like to sit a lot further back from the wheel than American auto makers seem to feel is appropriate, and when I was still running the OEM shifter I had made an aluminum adapter plate with two drilled holes and two tapped holes that moved the shift handle 3/8" to the left and 3/4" to the rear--Steeda used to sell such a thing but I don't see it in their catalog anymore.[/align]
Old 04-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

The "sloppy stock feel" is only partly in the handle (there's a rubber isolator where the handle bolts to the shift lever), much of it is in the stock shift mechanism itself.[/align][/align]MGW used to offer two handles, on shorter and one longer, however AFAIK the longer handle is no longer available (I contacted them about this 9 or 10 months ago).All of the other aftermarket shifters use handle mounting methods that are very similar or identical to the stock mount, some of these are adjustable [/align][/align]I like to sit a lot further back from the wheel than American auto makers seem to feel is appropriate, and when I was still running the OEM shifter I had made an aluminum adapter plate with two drilled holes and two tapped holes that moved the shift handle 3/8" to the left and 3/4" to the rear--Steeda used to sell such a thing but I don't see it in their catalog anymore.[/align]
Yeah I had a tri ax before but sold it. I just cant deal with this stock crap. That mounting bracket is a good idea. I didnt think about that. I could easily make that myself. thanks for the idea...
Old 04-26-2008, 10:44 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

hurst shifters are long as hell....i can rest my arm on my center console and shift through every gear