4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

If you have a Procharger.... Come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default If you have a Procharger.... Come on in!

When yall change your Procharger Oil, do yall take it to a shop to get it done? Or do yall do it yourselves? How much of a pain in the *** is it if you do it yourself?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: If you have a Procharger.... Come on in!

its not hard. there is a magnetic drain plug on the bottom of the head unit.. i was changing my tensioner when i did my procharger oil so it was easy as pie. (head unit was already off)
i have heard it is a bit harder to get to it when the head unit is on the car. some people even put and extra length of hosing on there to help them drain it without making a mess.
just get in there and check it out, its very easy once you do it once.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

fairly simple yet very messy. Its a direct shot to the bolt, but draining, catching and moving the bolt out of the way in time to prevent some rancid smelling oil from hitting other *clean* car parts is where it gets tricky. Have done all my oil changes regularly and never paid anyone to do it. Its as simple as draining your engine oil and just as quick.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:23 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Well I change my own engine oil. I haven't changed the procharger oil yet. I need to see that extra hosing that people put on it to make it easier. I don't mind the mess since I make a big mess everytime I do my engine oil anyway..... I don't use a funnel lol. I always forget to get one when I buy my oil.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:30 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I've done all mine myself too. It's not that bad. If you have a long extention you can get right to it from the bottom to get the plug out. Vic, have you run the car since you got it fixed?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Hrrmmm.. you guys are talking about the self-contained head units right? I change my own engine oil, but I've been taking mine to a shop to have the procharger oil changed, as it's only like 30 bucks including the oil at Gearheads. I watched them do it the last time, and they have some kind of pump that sucks the oil out of the head unit.

Contentsunderpressur, when you talk about the tubing extension, this works on the S/C units also? I didn't think they had but one plug for this and I don't know if it's magnetic or not... Just curious, because if there's a way I can do it myself that'd be good cause it'd save me money, but I don't wanna have to take the head unit off to do it everytime either.. [&:]That'd be a pain in the ***..
Old 05-02-2008, 07:00 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Run it at the track? Nah not yet..... The Tranny and driveshaftare still the stock 3650 and 3rd gear syncros feels like shes screaming for help. I'm not trying to risk breaking them.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:01 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

I've done all mine myself too. It's not that bad. If you have a long extention you can get right to it from the bottom to get the plug out. Vic, have you run the car since you got it fixed?
What size socket?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

I recently changed mine, I changed it without taking the headunit off. Like stated earlier it's a straight shot to the plug from underneath with a rachet and extention. I made a mess when I removed the plug tho, the cup I had to catch the oil got very little and the innercooler piping got most of it. It's messy, but I wouldn't pay for it.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

I can see it would be easier to remove the head unit..... Does anyone here just say frack it and remove the head unit?

Quick Reply: If you have a Procharger.... Come on in!