4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

went to the track for the first time ever

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: went to the track for the first time ever

fwiw... i trap that, stock... mph wise

i think if you play with your shift points... youll do much better too
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I was looking at the video in my sig, I have a slow mo of my launch (drivers side), you don't see the car launch. My last pass (view from the rear) I can see that I do get a slight bit of squat in the right rear. I'll be getting an airbag for that spring.
Here's another video (:52 slow mo) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJplT...eature=related the rearend stays level even as the front end rises.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Mike, you have some videos in your inbox to analyze I'm watching yours now.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Actually that video was a link to a BADASS *turbo* 2v. WOW that was amazing.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Mike, you have some videos in your inbox to analyze I'm watching yours now.
found your problem (or atleast part of it), I replied.

Can someone find this article online...?

I read an article a few years back that talked about suspension, pinion angles, center of gravity, etc. It was very informative. I remember it talked about a good launch vs. bogging vs. spinning (I think) and it gave an analagy of pushing a refrigerator. If you stand on the side of it and have your hands placed too high and push, it tips over (bogging), if you have your hands too low your feet lose traction (spinning). Then it talked about setting up your hands (suspension, pinion angle, etc) for the perfect launch. It was a great read that we could all benefit from.

If someone has the time would they mind finding it????
Old 06-03-2008, 11:57 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

This has a pic of a fridge. Is this it? I'll read it tomorrow. lol

http://www.raceglides.com.au/TechInfo.htm
Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

This has a pic of a fridge. Is this it? I'll read it tomorrow. lol

http://www.raceglides.com.au/TechInfo.htm
you are the man. It's been years since I read it. It'll be a good refresher!! Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

just at a quick glance I may have been wrong about wanting the rear to rise up, but you'll have to set it that way to level it out and stop the squat I'm sure. I'm 'bout to grab a beer and get to reading.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:31 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

this was taken directly from that article (bits & pieces)
"However, this arrangement – especially with the shorter bars common today – also tends to force the rear wheels and axle up, compressing the springs, which allows the rear of the body to drop. This condition is known as rear squat. Although it looks like you are transferring more weight to the rear tyres and increasing traction, you are actually lifting the rear tyres, and decreasing traction."

"
Look at this another way. If the suspension is trying to push the back of the car up, that's the same thing as saying it's trying to push the rear wheels and tyres down, against the track surface, which obviously increases bite. That's what this rear suspension geometry is all about."

"There's another phenomenon common to front-engine, rear-drive cars. It, too, is an action/reaction, inertia/momentum situation, but it operates side-to-side in the car, rather than front-to-back. It is caused by the fact that the crankshaft and drive shaft rotate along a north-south axis while the rear axles and wheels rotate on an east-west axis. Actually, it is two separate problems, only moderately related. The first, of which you are probably aware, is the tendency of the engine to try to lift the left front corner of the chassis as the car launches. That's because the crankshaft is trying to turn clockwise (viewed from the front), but the car's inertia is holding it back (see illustration next page). As the engine strains against this resistance, it reacts by trying to spin (counterclockwise) around the crankshaft. Since the engine is (hopefully) anchored securely to the frame, it tries to pull the frame up on the left (passenger's) side. The more powerful the engine, and the heavier the car, the more pronounced the problem becomes. The solution is to build a chassis that doesn't twist, or to stiffen and triangulate the one you have as much as possible. Actually, it's something most chassis tuners don't worry about too much. If it isn't excessive and the car goes straight let it happen. Trying to tune it out with the rear suspension can lead to worse side effects."
Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 PM
waggs
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_3638643/tm.htm

i know zw beat me to it but i've had this saved in my favorites for a while

Quick Reply: went to the track for the first time ever