4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

H/C/I Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Default H/C/I Installation

I've had a set of stage 2 PnP heads and stage 2 cams sitting around for a few months, and I finally got around to installing them. The heads were from Patriot and the cams were Comp Cams. My car is a 98 Mustang GT with the PI intake already installed. Other things I installed were breed valve covers and sce head gaskets that lower my compression (SC going on soon) as well as a bevy of new gaskets. I made a little room in the engine bay by deleting the EGR, as well.

The install went pretty well. I ran into a couple snags, though. The hardest part of the install was probably dealing with removing and reinstalling the headers. What a PITA. Also, installing the windsor heads on my romeo motor involved sourcing some extra bolts. A visit to my local hardware store fixed that problem. I needed 5 extra bolts and 3 extra double studded bolts (all 10 x 1.5). Other than that, it went pretty smoothly. So all that are afraid of mixing windsor and romeo components, don't be because it is really easy. I estimate the install time to be about 16 hours in my driveway with hand tools... would have been less if my arms weren't too big to get at alot of the header bolts.

The results: I immediately fell in love with the new sound. It sounds like a big block racecar now... you definately wouldn't think it only had the 4.6 under the hood. The lopy idle coupled with my exhaust combo definately makes the car sound aggressive. I will get a sound clip up as soon as possible because you guys need to hear it. Powerwise, I am not sure what I gained. I couldn't really get on it because I'm in town, but the drivability is pretty good... I'll take it on the highway tomorrow. The only problems I have right now is an exhaust leak on cylinder 5 or 6 and a slight overheating issue due to a non-working cooling fan. Both problems should be fixed tomorrow.

I'm sure a tune will definately help, but I want to hold off on that until I install my Procharger. My new goal is to eventually turn the mustang into a race-only car. I just graduated college and got a really good job, so I'm looking at getting a new car very soon and keeping the mustang for my expensive hobby.

EDIT: The cost ended up being about $1750 for everything. $800 for heads, $400 for cams, $170 for team breed covers, $275 for the SCE head gaskets (.091" thick to lower compression from 10.5 to about 8.9:1), and $100 or so on other gaskets. Overall, not too bad considering the only factory parts I installed were some of the gaskets. I know I lost some power from lowering the compression, but I should gain it back easily whenever I get around to bolting up my other parts.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Hash06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: H/C/I Installation

so did you degree the cams yourself and what about valve springs? and yes please get a video up soon.
also i thought you needed a tune after a cam install
Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 PM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

I will be installing some Stage 2 heads and 2.5 cams soon....
I hope it goes as smooth as yours sounded.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:35 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Sound Clip??????