4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cold air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cold air Intake

welcome to the forums these are our members...
01gt4.6 is the guy in the front...im on the back left

Old 06-04-2008, 06:10 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steve0914

welcome to the forums these are our members...
01gt4.6 is the guy in the front...im on the back left

nah that guy is too good looking to be me.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Rogeliod8
1st Gear Member

haha. Yeah you are right I agree! It's cool man. Like I said thanks for the advice. I will probably do some more work on the exhaust. Probably some shorty headers and high flow catted x pipe.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:25 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rogeliod8

haha. Yeah you are right I agree! It's cool man. Like I said thanks for the advice. I will probably do some more work on the exhaust. Probably some shorty headers and high flow catted x pipe.
a mifd pipe (x or h) will help. Headers (longtubes) are a PITA to install and will cost you heavilly if you have a shop do it.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 PM
1vryfststang
2nd Gear Member

I will reply with my experience to question you ask: Here recently I purchased the BBK Cold Air Intake, Summit Street and Strip 75mm TB, and the TrickFlow upper plenum....I am very happy with my purchase I could notice some better throttle response with all the parts conbined but thats just me. Plus is looks really good under the hood IMO.. but if your looking for something you will notice go ahead and put in 3.73s or 3.90s or 4.10 your CHOICE lol. About the heat problem with bbk intake I dunno mine gets a lil warm but does it effect it probally given the physics side of it, but enough to tell no...so plasitc or metal your choice....JLT'S imo look way to bulky under the hood.. Oh one more thing the BBK like to whistle at certain RPMS.. even more so when the air is cooler outside and it is pretty loud or noticeable let me put it that way..hope this helps!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

the heat issue of the piping get hot and heating the air is nothing ! I made a post a while ago about wrapping or shielding the metal to keep the air from heating up. a genius came in and schooled me on the physics of it, the air is moving so quickly it doesn't have time to heat up even if the piping is really hot.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwarner0297

the heat issue of the piping get hot and heating the air is nothing ! I made a post a while ago about wrapping or shielding the metal to keep the air from heating up. a genius came in and schooled me on the physics of it, the air is moving so quickly it doesn't have time to heat up even if the piping is really hot.
but the question is, how does it get cold... after all it is called a cold air intake. IMO $200 for ~2hp is a bad gain for the money. And most people that don't know any better look specifically for a cold air under the hood. Without one they tend to think that you don't have crap. I love when I pop my hood and someone spouts off with "looks stock", I reply with "yep" and think to myself that that was the purpose. I rather "go" over "show" but maybe that's just me.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 AM
1vryfststang
2nd Gear Member

I agree with the stock look as well.....I am a huge sleeper car person because that is when you can really turn heads unexpected..btw nice ride! About the cold air intake....well with the bbk it does run into the fender well unlike the JLT RAM air intake which therefore would somewhat be better when heat is an issue.....The only way I see that you could be you was getting true cold air or COLDER AIR would be to install a shaker hood with the adapter so there would be no mistake for somewhat forced cooler air....they even have some cowl hoods and others that are functional meanin the adapt to the stock air box which is consealed inside the plastic....But even better....if you have a shaker hood they make adapters for the supercharger systems that are out there procharger, vortech, paxton ect....now wouldn't that be nice...Although I am still in college I have big dreams for my ride.......way to much to list....but If your own a budget and want it to be pretty fast you could follow me in my engine mod history to come:

BBK CAI
75mm TB
Trick Flow Upper Plentum
NX Nitrous 75 shot plate system......(next mod)
3.73 or 4.10 gears....(next mod as well) still havnt decided...yet =-(

Now if I could have things my way oh man.....lol lets not go there!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

ORIGINAL: jwarner0297

but the question is, how does it get cold... after all it is called a cold air intake. IMO $200 for ~2hp is a bad gain for the money. And most people that don't know any better look specifically for a cold air under the hood. Without one they tend to think that you don't have crap. I love when I pop my hood and someone spouts off with "looks stock", I reply with "yep" and think to myself that that was the purpose. I rather "go" over "show" but maybe that's just me.
it doesn't get cold...its based off of the air outside should be cooler than the air right next to your engine....come on 01gt you know that...
Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 AM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

I like my JLT RAI. But... thats just me. It goes well with my stage 2 heads.

Quick Reply: Cold air Intake