4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Long Crank when starting???

Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
zea14

Default Long Crank when starting???

I have an '04 GT and sometimes it fires right up with all the power in the world. The next time it might crank for what feels like an eternity. I had a charging system check at Sears and all was fine though I did go ahead and put in a new battery to be safe since it still had the one from the factory.The stanghas around 28k miles.

Could this be fuel related? PVC? Starter? Maybe the auto trans not engaging well enough in park? I'm not noticing any other issues with idle or drive. I'm not a mechanic by any means and only go to Sears for batteries. Before I head to the shop or dealer, I thought I'd ask here. There is nothing more embarrassing than driving a hot car and having someone stare at you when it won't fire right up!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Long Crank when starting???

ORIGINAL: zea14

I have an '04 GT and sometimes it fires right up with all the power in the world. The next time it might crank for what feels like an eternity. I had a charging system check at Sears and all was fine though I did go ahead and put in a new battery to be safe since it still had the one from the factory.The stanghas around 28k miles.

Could this be fuel related? PVC? Starter? Maybe the auto trans not engaging well enough in park? I'm not noticing any other issues with idle or drive. I'm not a mechanic by any means and only go to Sears for batteries. Before I head to the shop or dealer, I thought I'd ask here. There is nothing more embarrassing than driving a hot car and having someone stare at you when it won't fire right up!
Could be a number of things.
1) If it were a parking issue then it would not crank at all. So scratch that
2) PCV has NOTHING to do with starting so scratch that one
3) Battery - should not have replaced it unless it was cranking slow, and you just replaced it, so scratch that one
4) Starter - cranks fine so scratch that one.

That leaves:
1) Fuel - fuel pressure, fuel pump, fuel filter - One of these are the most likely culprits. Replace fuel filter, have your pressure checked, if that comes up bad, replace fuel pump. You could also let the car sit for a second or two before cranking it with the key in the 'ON' position (all the dash lights on).
2) Spark - as in timing or coils that are at the end of thier life. (not likely with end of life since it's an 04) So check timing

Do you have a starting problem when the car is cold, hot? Short trips, long trips? When/how? Listen for the fuel pump, it shoudl kick on for less than a second when you put the key to the "on" position. If it doesn't or it sounds weird and then when you go to start it, it just cranks, it's probably the fuel pump.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 PM
zea14

I can start it right up first thing after sitting overnight with no problems. I first thought it was the alternator and that's why I had the charging check. I can take a 2 mile trip to the store, come out and it have a long crank. I can then drive 10 miles and it'll do it again. The next stop, I drive 2 miles, get out and come back and it fires right up! It's so intermittent it's driving me insane. But, it's never once stalled or failed to start.

I pretty much use the same gas station which I think/hope is good qualityfuel but admit it's been doing this since I bought it andwho knows what the previous owner did. Problem is, it's happening more often.

But when it starts up fresh each morning, that roar and rumble is a thing of beauty!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

My 03 has been doing it since the day i bought it. Its exactly the same as youve explained. Its never not started and theres no pattern of when it does it. After I did all my mods, it still does the same thing but it cranks longer. Ive talked to some people on here and there are a few people who have the same thing. It must just be a mustang thing...like the sweet seatbelts...
Old 06-09-2008, 04:18 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

If all the checks, the fuel and spark checks,come out ok then don't sweat it. Derf00 said it you can turn the key to the accessory position then back a couple times. When it comes down to it though there have been a few other threads about this before and many people have had the same problem and its nothing. Just annoying sometimes.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

If it does wont to start just cycle the key on and off a couple of times mine does it to sometimes but not to often.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 PM
archetype01

glad i seen this post.because i have an 04 gt auto and mine does the same thing.so i guess its just a mustang thing if a lot of people have the same problem.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Some fuel pumps use an electical signal when you turn the key to the on possition (without starting it) then it gets another signal to pump from an engine vacuum sensor when the engine is cranking to get more fuel to turn over. Not sure if our Mustangs use that set up?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:28 PM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

when it takes awhile to crank does a little tap of the gas pedal help? IAC is what was wrong with my 00 gt
Old 08-14-2016, 08:55 PM
ironwarrior

Default 2000 GT Mustang 50k miles 4-6 cranks before start after sitting

I noticed this thread and I too am having same problem.
I added new aftermarket fuel pump and filter @ 32,000 miles due to a clogged pump at the time and car would not start.
This fixed that issue and has been running fine until now @ 50k miles.

Problem: After the car has been sitting overnight or all day it takes about 5-6 cranks before it will start.
I tried pumping the gas and it bogged and slightly back fired then started. But if I don't pump the gas it will start with no backfire just takes these extra cranks.
After it starts I notice no issues in driving. It idles fine, drives fine through all ranges and notice no issues.

Today I let it sit overnight and cranked it and it started at about 2-3 cranks. But before this problem it always started instantly on the 1st crank,
so I know there is some issue going on.

Can you please help me fix this issue...
I ordered a motorcraft fuel filter to try and bought a fuel pressure gauge today.
I will test this weekend. I heard that you need yellow teflon tape for the fittings on the fuel pressure gauge so I need to get that too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long Crank when starting???