4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

engine ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: engine ticking noise

There is no reason to worry about going from conventional to synthetic. It's just a non-sense myth people created when someone with a junker that burned and leaked oil anyways, switched to synthetic and finally noticed the problem. Go ahead and switch.

Be careful with those plugs, you don't want to undertighten them or strip any threads. Make sure you have a torque wrench availabe to torque them properly.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Lombardo05
2nd Gear Member

anyone know what the torque specs are on the plugs?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:50 PM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

13 ft-lb
Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: Crowder

ORIGINAL: Lombardo05

1sloblckgt is correct. this just happend to me 2 days ago. my car is still at the shop. it had been ticking for about 2-2 1/2 weeks and i was driving when boom pop pop pop and my spark plug ripped the threads out of the head and the spark plug blew through the coil pack. result so far $350 and still climbing
ouch, thats crazy. And for the ticking noises have you adjusted the valves lately. They might need an adjustment
I think the valves on the OHC motors (fords) are all self adjusting or no adjustment..could be wrong on that.

Also, if it sounds like it's coming from the head, check for an exhaust leak. Since he switch to sythetic and new plugs, it's possible all of the other background noises went away so the ticking is just more obvious, not louder.

You are correct sir....

Hydraulic Lash Adjustment takes the place of having to adjust valve lash manually like you would with old/new pushrod engines..

A common problem with not just Mustangs but MANY OHC vehicles is that the HLA's sometimes gum and and aren't as responsive as they were new from the factory.. Seafoam is a decent way to fix it, as other internal cleaners.. I don't use them for a few reasons, but it's common on a lot of cars to have a little ticking.. A lot of times when you give it throttle and the tick goes away, is usually because the added pressure of oil, and speed of the engine sort of "unstick," or loosen up things a little more, so it'll temporarily go away..

However, if the ticking gets louder when you give it gas, it usually means you're not getting enough oil at the top of the engine..

JT
Old 06-08-2015, 12:49 AM
john8228

Default Ticking Solved!!!

exhaust leak at manifold. take shop vac push the hose over your muffler duct tape hose so air will not escape. with key off turn on shop vac to send air in your exhaust, listen check all valves at manifold by ear if you have a leak you will hear the air escaping. pinpoint with finger. tighten manifold or change gasket. if your hear or feel no air escaping. then you know its not your exhaust. that evil ticking got the best off me mentally for a while. friends and family with their doomsday 2 cents,,,, your bearings are going out... lifters or lashers sticking.. timing chain is going out.. wtf!!!! just be proactive and do this first. all i had to do was tighten my manifold.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:19 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

You can switch between dino and synthetic oil all you want its not going to hurt anything.

Change the plugs and make sure they are torqued. That was the first thing I did when I bought my 99.

The only other things that can tick in the head are an exhaust gasket leak, stuck lash adjuster or worn cam lobe.