4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Open up the hood "intake"

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Open up the hood "intake"

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

^^^^Speaking of idiots.

Don't listen to people that tell you not to do something when they have never done it. He obviously never did it. The hood scoop is held on by bolts. I have had mine cut for 3 years now. I have buried the speedometer (past 150mph) and the scoop barely did anything. When it rains barely any water gets in the engine bay and it cooks off instantlyunless you open the hood right after you finish driving or washing the car. There is no way in hell that water can get to the filter from the hood scoop. You have to drive into a lake at 6000+rpms to suck any water into engine and damage it.

The only thing he is right about is there is no performance gain. But I did get a few more mpg on the freeway. When I had a MAC metal CAI it used to get hot as hell and couldnt touch it but after cutting the hood it was cool to the touch. Now that I have a Trickflow intake manifold it keeps it nice and cool to the touch.
Aren't you the dumbass that mad fun of me taking my headlight out at the track?????
Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayC

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

^^^^Speaking of idiots.

Don't listen to people that tell you not to do something when they have never done it. He obviously never did it. The hood scoop is held on by bolts. I have had mine cut for 3 years now. I have buried the speedometer (past 150mph) and the scoop barely did anything. When it rains barely any water gets in the engine bay and it cooks off instantlyunless you open the hood right after you finish driving or washing the car. There is no way in hell that water can get to the filter from the hood scoop. You have to drive into a lake at 6000+rpms to suck any water into engine and damage it.

The only thing he is right about is there is no performance gain. But I did get a few more mpg on the freeway. When I had a MAC metal CAI it used to get hot as hell and couldnt touch it but after cutting the hood it was cool to the touch. Now that I have a Trickflow intake manifold it keeps it nice and cool to the touch.
Aren't you the dumbass that mad fun of me taking my headlight out at the rack?????

that's because you shouldn't have gotten the Kaenen hood with the vent in the back and just cut a hole in the stock hood.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 PM
gotboost
2nd Gear Member

Ive done it resently and i have had it for six months. I cut the hold in the hood and then drilled the holes in the honey comb. There are about eight bolts that screw the hood on. It keeps fresh air in the hood, maybe its not the best thing but it works. Water is never a problem. Driver for hours in the rain and not a drop in the engine, all way dusty and dry.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:01 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

wow i didnt think u guys would get so aggressive. well im a student so ill take any free mod that i can. and the dude that sold me the car is a mustang collector. hes probably had a mustang since before u were born shadowfoxx. haha
but i did the job and it looks good. i decided to drill out theholes in the honey comb so air can go through. i could still have the support and its a little safer. But eventually i might just take the whole piece out.

Thanks for the help guys!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 01:27 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: natedog

wow i didnt think u guys would get so aggressive. well im a student so ill take any free mod that i can. and the dude that sold me the car is a mustang collector. hes probably had a mustang since before u were born shadowfoxx. haha
but i did the job and it looks good. i decided to drill out theholes in the honey comb so air can go through. i could still have the support and its a little safer. But eventually i might just take the whole piece out.

Thanks for the help guys!!!
lol.. hey whatever floats your boat man.. as long asyou know it wont actually do anything and still want to do it.. then power to ya... and Im a bit older then some would like to believe so althought its slightly possible for that guy to have a mustang before I was born its highly suspect considering that they didnt produce the first mustang until 64 1/2. [8D]
Old 06-28-2008, 02:01 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

lol
Old 06-28-2008, 02:43 PM
DeltaV
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forums... LOL! Looks good man!