4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

FUEL PUMP NEED HELP NOW.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 PM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

Default FUEL PUMP NEED HELP NOW.

The walboro 255lph pump will not fit in my pumphousing. I have the tank out of the car and dont want to put it back tonight. I have to drive to work tommorrow though. Does anybody know the year model and specs of the focus svt pump that they run for my year?? 98gt

Please try to get responses quick.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: FUEL PUMP NEED HELP NOW.

ORIGINAL: 1sloblckgt

The walboro 255lph pump will not fit in my pumphousing. I have the tank out of the car and dont want to put it back tonight. I have to drive to work tommorrow though. Does anybody know the year model and specs of the focus svt pump that they run for my year?? 98gt

You have to modify the bucket for a Walboro to fit however, it will not last long as the 98's are the b@stard year and is return style but the voltage is regulated much like the 99+ returnless systems which will kill the Warlboro pump! Here is a high flow for 1998 here

You could also go inline with a T-Rex from Vortech! I simply replaced my 98 setup with a 1997 tank and regulator because it was dirt cheap!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I was just on those sites looking for him. Racer walsh is a great one but it would be easier and more reliable to just get a Focus pump? The T-rex is a great choice too.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

You have to modify the bucket for a Walboro to fit however, it will not last long as the 98's are the b@stard year and is return style but the voltage is regulated much like the 99+ returnless systems which will kill the Warlboro pump! Here is a high flow for 1998 here

You could also go inline with a T-Rex from Vortech! I simply replaced my 98 setup with a 1997 tank and regulator because it was dirt cheap!
I actually didn't know about this until I was talking to a local guys yesterday who has a 98. He did the same thing as lizzy and just replaced it with a 97 setup.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

I'm leaving the tank out for the night. I have arranged transportation to and from work tommorrow and I have somebody to pick up the svt pump from the ford dealership if they carry them. Does anyone know if ford has them?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

We'll that would be great if I had 97 junk piece that could be my donor. It would be even better if I could get a hold on a pump by tommorrow. By the way.... Haney Motorsports is the company that told me over and over again that the pump would work and that it would drop right in. I can't tell you how many times I asked that question. They said it was a typo on the website for listing 96-97.

If the RACER WALSH pump is upgraded and it only flows 170lph.... what the crap is mine flowing at now??? [sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 PM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

[ol]Disconnect the battery.
Relieve the fuel system pressure.
Drain the fuel tank. (Unless its 1/4 full or less you wont have to)
Raise vehicle
Remove the filler pipe bolt attachment and disconnect the filler pipe hose connections to the fuel tank.
Disconnect the fuel tank electrical connector.
Disconnect the vapor tube fitting at the left front of the fuel tank.
Disconnect the EVAP canister tube and hose.
Place a safety support under the fuel tank.
Remove the front two bolts from the fuel tank support straps and swing the LH strap out of the way.
Remove the RH fuel tank support strap bolt and remove the strap.
Partially lower the fuel tank and disconnect the fuel line.
Cut outer edge of pipe-to-tank grommet to facilitate pipe removal and carefully remove the grommet from the fuel tank. Take care to avoid damage to the filler pipe check valve. CAUTION: The filler pipe grommet must be removed prior to removing the fuel tank from the filler pipe or damage to the fill tube check valve will occur.
Lower and remove the fuel tank. [/ol]
WTF is a fill tube check valve?? I didnt cut the grommet, and I didn't see any "check valve."
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

If the RACER WALSH pump is upgraded and it only flows 170lph.... what the crap is mine flowing at now??? [sm=dontgetit.gif]
88 lph is the stock rate
Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 PM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

And mike thanks for all your help seriously.... Sorry I woke you up from your little nap.

I'll send you a check for your precious time.
No, but really when this is all said and done, I owe you a cold one. [sm=icon_cheers.gif] [sm=partyparty.gif]
Old 07-29-2008, 09:26 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

If you really want to do the swap (good idea for SC setup) give these guys a holler MPS

Quick Reply: FUEL PUMP NEED HELP NOW.