4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

need feedback on new clutch and quadrant install

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
mdubbs

Default need feedback on new clutch and quadrant install

i just put in a new king cobra clutch kit in my 98 gt. I replaced every clutch component. I went ahead and replaced it and took the old quadrant off and replaced it with the steeda kit. I am using the original cable, firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant. My clutch would not engage at all at first. I did not like the adjustable cable and went with the stock one. plus i figure the firewall adjuster will give me enough adjustment. I am using the hook closest to the firewall b/c the second hook gives me no freeplay. My concern is that the way i have the setup now is there is no clutch slop which there shouldn't be.if you push on the clutch pedal with your hand it does have some resistance but goes about and inch before it gets rock hard that you need your foot. IS THAT CORRECT???I have to turn that firewall adjuster out pretty far to get the clutch to engage and it gets hard to turn because it is going against the cable. At first it would not engage then i got it driving and it was nice after the first couple laps with a chattering clutch. However after 10 minutes it may have gotten out of adjustment. Any ideas what is going on. I do not want to heat the disc. Do i just need to drive it. At first it was engaging right off floor when taking off and engaging midway when shifting. When i put it in the driveway last, it seemed to engage more in the middle. Any ideas???