4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Low end torque loss with o/r X?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 PM
stang1101
3rd Gear Member

Default Low end torque loss with o/r X?

I've read a bunch of these threads some saying its true some saying its not. What the scoop on this? Right now I have a mrt catted h with flowmaster weld ins. I was gonna go with a o/r H but want to switch things up a bit and get the X.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 AM
NinetySix GT
2nd Gear Member

You lose some, but not enough to worry about.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

imo i thought my car pulled alot harder when i lost the cats... **** strict emissions in the early-mid 90s
Old 09-21-2008, 02:04 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

It felt like mine lost a bit of low end when I put my O/R x-pipe on. Doesn't help that I have Magnapacks either. But at top she pulled much harder. Now with 4.10's, I don't worry about low end anymore.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:06 AM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

dude.. im so sick of these ppl saying OMG u lose this with this and that with that.. dude honestly with exhaust you will not be able to tell so who gives a chit.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:33 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Technically you don't use anything your powerband gets moved up which is the whole point of doing the mod. Gears will counter the loss you feel. But like SUP3STANG said its not really noticable and exhaust (stock style mid pipe) is for sound only not performance.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Your not loosing any low end TQ with a X or H pipe... it might feel this way, but its all in your head. If anything, your just gaining more up top, so if feels like you don't have as much as you did before.

This is kinda like people who used to say the 4v makes less TQ down low... it only feels that way because it makes more power up top, but about the same TQ down low, so it feels like less.

You should not see ANY drops in the powerband on a dyno with a x pipe, if you do you need tuning. I did not see ANY TQ loss on the dyno before/after, and with full boltons including a o/r X I was making 300 WTQ peak with a super flat TQ curve.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:42 AM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000GT4.6
Your not loosing any low end TQ with a X or H pipe... it might feel this way, but its all in your head. If anything, your just gaining more up top, so if feels like you don't have as much as you did before.

This is kinda like people who used to say the 4v makes less TQ down low... it only feels that way because it makes more power up top, but about the same TQ down low, so it feels like less.

You should not see ANY drops in the powerband on a dyno with a x pipe, if you do you need tuning. I did not see ANY TQ loss on the dyno before/after, and with full boltons including a o/r X I was making 300 WTQ peak with a super flat TQ curve.
where the hell have u been man??? havnt seen u post in ages
Old 09-21-2008, 10:46 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

You know... that makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 AM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

I beg to differ on your Mach 1 comment. I took one out a few days ago, before I take the plunge into rebuilding my engine. Surprisingly my car had MUCH more torque in the lower RPM's than the Mach! It wasn't even a comparison. However, I felt the upper RPM's were stronger than my car a bit.

Quick Reply: Low end torque loss with o/r X?