4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New SCT X3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SUP3RSTANG
not to 6500 it wont...thats just asking for trouble on a stock bottom end.
Question: Have you PERSONALLY done it?

I hope your answer is yes, because if it isn't you shouldn't be contributing to this thread.

My cammed P1SC setup had a 6500RPM limit on a STOCK bottom end. That's what you're asking right? Oh should I mention I was making 415rwhp on that same stock bottom end revving to 6500RPM?

Going through the trap at the top of a gear is MUCH better than having to hit a shift 20-50ft before the traps unless you really know how to shift.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 PM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 35thAnni99GT
Question: Have you PERSONALLY done it?

I hope your answer is yes, because if it isn't you shouldn't be contributing to this thread.

My cammed P1SC setup had a 6500RPM limit on a STOCK bottom end. That's what you're asking right? Oh should I mention I was making 415rwhp on that same stock bottom end revving to 6500RPM?

Going through the trap at the top of a gear is MUCH better than having to hit a shift 20-50ft before the traps unless you really know how to shift.

he doesnt even have the mods to warrant reving past 5900.. u can do what u want.. but reving the stock bottom end that high is asking for trouble.. ask anyone who has done it repeatedly, then had to do a rebuild. the redline is there for a reason. a it doesnt make power that high(unless u cam it) and b its not intended to spin that high stock..
Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

he doesnt even have the mods to warrant reving past 5900.. u can do what u want.. but reving the stock bottom end that high is asking for trouble.. ask anyone who has done it repeatedly, then had to do a rebuild. the redline is there for a reason. a it doesnt make power that high(unless u cam it) and b its not intended to spin that high stock..
I'm not saying he does either BUT if he drag races alot the extra ceiling may be enough to send him through the traps at the top of 3rd instead of 4th gear at 3200RPMS.

Ask anyone who has done it? You're looking at someone who did it for a full season on the track, street, and DD'ed it. Don't try to fool yourself, the motor in the 2v GT has the EXACT same bottom end design as the higher revving 4v setups. They didn't put magical rod bearings that allow for a 6500RPM limit in those cars and you sure as hell don't see them being rebuilt all over the place because they came like that from the factory.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:10 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

Give me some ARP rod bolts and Id gladly spin to 6500 daily
Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 PM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

I'm not saying he does either BUT if he drag races alot the extra ceiling may be enough to send him through the traps at the top of 3rd instead of 4th gear at 3200RPMS.

Ask anyone who has done it? You're looking at someone who did it for a full season on the track, street, and DD'ed it. Don't try to fool yourself, the motor in the 2v GT has the EXACT same bottom end design as the higher revving 4v setups. They didn't put magical rod bearings that allow for a 6500RPM limit in those cars and you sure as hell don't see them being rebuilt all over the place because they came like that from the factory.
iv seen to many ppl come on here saying there motor needs a rebuild because they over revved it.. i dont trust the gt bottom end 1 bit to spin that high.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:33 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

iv seen to many ppl come on here saying there motor needs a rebuild because they over revved it.. i dont trust the gt bottom end 1 bit to spin that high.
So you wouldn't spin a Mach or a 99/01 Cobra that high either right?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:37 PM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

So you wouldn't spin a Mach or a 99/01 Cobra that high either right?
like i said, iv seen to many ppl on here make threads about over reving there GT to make me want to do that on mine.

whether its the same bottom end or not i dont know.. i can only go off what iv seen others do. and someone else having to do a rebuild for that is more then enough of a warning for me to stay away from that idea

but i do know this, theres smarter ppl than u or me that swap stuff out in the lower end to rev that high.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:48 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

but i do know this, theres smarter ppl than u or me that swap stuff out in the lower end to rev that high.
LOL, I'm sorry, but yeah when I first got my car I may have not known that much, but believe me when I say you speak for yourself.

It's not like I always had the Lightning.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Mustanggt08325

Thank's guys, I really appreciate all the imput. I have another question, completely unrelated. I was told that if I wanted to increase horsepower as well as get bettter gas mileage, I will be doing my sell justice by getting a Mass Air Flow sensor. So I ordered one from JET, now the guy at UPR who talked me into getting a UPR cold air intake and the SCT tunner, says it is not compatable with the intake and that I don't need it. SO know my buddies are telling I should have purchased a K& N cold air intke and a Diablo tunner, then the MAss Air Flow sensor would have worked and I would have gotten more horsepower and son on. It all this true?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

how do you like the tuner, im thinking about ordering one

Quick Reply: New SCT X3