4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Decided to go NA after a lot of thought

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:09 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Welcome back stranger!

Absolutely right

After listening to a million videos of cammed mustangs the last few weeks and I've seriously contemplated building a high compression engine and selling the S/C. Then, after long inward retrospective thinking, I smack myself and tell myself to STFU retard.

Yeah that be a horrible decision. It might sound a tad bit cooler, but when you just built and engine from the ground up and it's slower than your stock engine with a s/c. You'll want to hang yourself.

Besides anything with more than 1 cam is hard to get a decent lope. Cammed 2v's sound ok but not that much better than non-cammed.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

Twin turbo's, expensive yes.... especialy because every time you floor it your gonna chit your pants, and if you wear jockey's like me, it will add up.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

PAAS, 5800 for everything for a turbo system isn't that bad. If I had the patience to save I would. lol
Old 10-16-2008, 10:18 AM
johnr2001gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by czwalga00gt
Yeah that be a horrible decision. It might sound a tad bit cooler, but when you just built and engine from the ground up and it's slower than your stock engine with a s/c. You'll want to hang yourself.

Besides anything with more than 1 cam is hard to get a decent lope. Cammed 2v's sound ok but not that much better than non-cammed.
cammed 2v's sound ok but not much better then stock? what are you smoking. my car sounds nothing like stock with Hitech stage 2 cams I promise you. its also just as fast and faster then some supercharged cars courtesy of a 125 shot. I sold my vortech and have not looked back. I love the awesome sound and with the flip of a switch just as fast.

I have never had so many mustang guys ask so many questions when they hear my car in person. get tons of compliments you don't see a cammed 4.6 everyday supercharged ones are everywhere. just all in what you want but both will perform.

just my 2 cents
Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnr2001gt
cammed 2v's sound ok but not much better then stock? what are you smoking. my car sounds nothing like stock with Hitech stage 2 cams I promise you. its also just as fast and faster then some supercharged cars courtesy of a 125 shot. I sold my vortech and have not looked back. I love the awesome sound and with the flip of a switch just as fast.

I have never had so many mustang guys ask so many questions when they hear my car in person. get tons of compliments you don't see a cammed 4.6 everyday supercharged ones are everywhere. just all in what you want but both will perform.

just my 2 cents

Keyword is 125 shot. That's not N/A. Don't get me wrong it sounds a little better, but it in no way sounds like a muscle car with a huge lope.

We can argue forced induction versus nitrous all day long, I prefer having the power there 100% of the time, others do not that's fine. However comparing a supercharged 2v to a N/A 2v is not even close.

Last edited by czwalga00gt; 10-16-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:42 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Personally I would never consider building a 4.6 2v n/a. If I was bored and had a bunch of cash I didn't know what to do with, I would consider doing a 4v but never a 2v.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Next time I'm buy two Turbo's before I ever even know what car I'm going to buy, lol.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

good points...

I am so uncertain at this point that I think i'm going to just do my exterior mods i had planned and drive around looking fast with the hondas...
Old 10-16-2008, 02:09 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tws1098
good points...

I am so uncertain at this point that I think i'm going to just do my exterior mods i had planned and drive around looking fast with the hondas...
lmao thats what im doing... i have big appearance mods for winter/spring
Old 10-16-2008, 02:37 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by czwalga00gt
Keyword is 125 shot. That's not N/A. Don't get me wrong it sounds a little better, but it in no way sounds like a muscle car with a huge lope.

We can argue forced induction versus nitrous all day long, I prefer having the power there 100% of the time, others do not that's fine. However comparing a supercharged 2v to a N/A 2v is not even close.

Are you comparing 350's and 302's with .650" lift cam to 2v 4.6's with stage 1 and 2 .500" lift cams? Well of course they are gonna sound better at idle. It's a bigger cam.

Have you ever heard a 2v with a big Crower Stg 3s, or Race cams? They will hit pretty good.

If you want to build an N/A motor, go right ahead. I've had a blast with mine, and even without the N20 it's been alot of fun. Would I trade my N/A motor for a built low compression motor with boost? Sure, but that's alot of money.

Quick Reply: Decided to go NA after a lot of thought