4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

coilovers... whos got em? brands? rates? etc

Old 11-07-2008, 12:39 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default coilovers... whos got em? brands? rates? etc

so, in search of what to getmyself for xmas, i usually try to come up with something useful, that i wouldnt usually buy... and was looking at kmembers and such, then came to the thought of coilovers, and now am prty set on that idea. few questions tho.

what brand can i use with my lakewoods up front and out back?
is it worth getting rears? i like the idea of having the adjustable height, so i can get that low stance, and a great launch still.
should i just get them up front? and cut the rear coil acordingly? or will getting them in the back help much too?
what the **** spring rate do i want for drag racing up front? i care not one bit about street use and handling, this is strictly a 1/4 thought here.
whos good? whos bad? what should i look out for?

and what else would i need, besides CC plate... nothing right?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

well I'm sure oxford will be in here shortly to give you info. I have bilstein shock's used with mine, directly from Maximum Motorsports, but I'll let Oxford tell you what you should use since he's more oriented in drag racing.

Tubular K-member though I think is just as good of an idea as coilovers for shaving some weight off the front end, that I do know. I think mine was around $300, I bought it a long time ago, from a place in state.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:07 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i figured it wouldnt be a bad idea either way. and i mean the car is launching like it should anyway, but i hate the stock stance. i have 4cyl fox springs i was going to put in the front, but now im looking at and thinking about coilovers. i do know that i want to keep my 90/10s and 50/50s for sure, no question, just want the stance(wow never thought id say that) and the launching still....for drag racing, are coilovers in the back even really needed?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

so your running lakewood 90/10's and 4cyl springs up front. Are you running stock springs in the rear?

I'll do some research, got nothin better to do.

From just looking at Maximum motorsports, looks like you really wouldn't need a coilover conversion for the rear if your getting weight transfer that you like.

For spring rate, I don't know off hand what the spring rate of the 4cyl springs are, but personally I went with a very stiff spring, so I would imagine a low spring rate for you would be the choice, but the guys at maximum motorsports know more than I do, and they could give you info on what spring rate to go with.

They didn't list a kit to go with Lakewood struts, so I'll search and see if there is a conversion kti for them.

Last edited by 2000AZ5.0GT; 11-07-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

no no, right now its 90/10s, and 50/50s... stock springs all around. i have the foxbody 4cyl springs, i havent put them in yet.

i guess the main questions are, are coilovers that much better then the fox springs?
what rate should i get for optimal launch(i could give two ****s about handling)
and are rears worth it?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:39 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
no no, right now its 90/10s, and 50/50s... stock springs all around. i have the foxbody 4cyl springs, i havent put them in yet.

i guess the main questions are, are coilovers that much better then the fox springs?
what rate should i get for optimal launch(i could give two ****s about handling)
and are rears worth it?
I don't know if in your application rears are really worth it, but in mine, they really really were. I absolutely loved switching to a full coilover kit, one of the best things i've done, but again, if your hooking well with the set up you have, then you probably don't need to change the rear suspension one bit.

It appears that RPM outlet offers a full kit for going with a coilover conversion for the Lakewood struts. Found it Here

I'm not very sure about optimal launch, but from everything I've read, the 4cyl springs help out with said launch, and in theory, that would be around a 150-175lb spring. Which they offer there with the coilover kit.

like I said, I'm nowhere near a suspension nor drag racing guru, mine is set up so that the front end stays down. Hopefully someone can come in and add more to this
Old 11-07-2008, 01:40 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Call MMR for front coilovers. Stock springs in the rear is kinda hard to beat for the money. Mostly b/c they are free, lol, but they still do awesome.

MMR Drag coilovers are like 150lb springs or something? Can't remember, but tell them you want the drag springs and you'll be good to go. Works fine with LAkewoods, but you have to do a little grinding on a thing or two. No big deal.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:53 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

good glad u posted... was it worth it for you going from 4cyl springs to coilovers? as for grinding, **** it sounds fun lol

think i should say **** the rear and just spend that money on a kmember?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

You just have to grind a little of the diameter of the end cap. Takes 10 mins on each strut. They give specifics in the instructions. It was kinda fun now that you mention it. lol. I would say the coilovers were the thing that helped by car the most. The 4cyls are better than stock, but coilovers are in a whole different league.

Definitely go with the Kmember over rear coilovers. Our rear suspension is pretty good how we have them setup. 50/50's with stock springs!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:13 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

honestly i dont see it 60ing any better then it does now lol... its doing 1.6s on the bottle, but hey, its deffinatly not going to hurt lol....ill look into it some more tomorrow, its ****ni late, and im goin to bed lol

thanks man... anything else i should know?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coilovers... whos got em? brands? rates? etc