4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Royal Purple

Old 12-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by optimus prime
They are all opinions is my point... you don't know until you try it. A lot of people on that site are also crazy.
ok well then why would you recommend a site saying that it has everything one needs to know about oils if it's full of opinions and not credible info. I mean that's what this forum is for, to tell others about your experiences. Im not saying that you're just lucky but i was just stating my experience just like you were talking about yours.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:36 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Davojan59
ok well then why would you recommend a site saying that it has everything one needs to know about oils if it's full of opinions and not credible info. I mean that's what this forum is for, to tell others about your experiences. Im not saying that you're just lucky but i was just stating my experience just like you were talking about yours.
I said it's all you'll ever want to READ... not NEED... jeez

look, there's actually a forum on there. If you look at RP v Amsoil threads they have opinions going both ways. You can't just skim through it and rag on me for putting a link to a bunch of other opinions... that doesn't seem very fair. I told you my experience. The rest of the research is at your fingertips.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

read or need, both basically implicate the same thing. Anyway im not ragging on you im just saying people should probably just state their experiences and be done. You went on talking about how people who have no experience talk about RP on these forums. Well it didn't happen in this thread so it isn't really relevant.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:45 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

read or need, both basically implicate the same thing. Anyway im not ragging on you im just saying people should probably just state their experiences and be done. You went on talking about how people who have no experience talk about RP on these forums. Well it didn't happen in this thread so it isn't really relevant.
so you had a personal experience or did I read that wrong? It wasn't "your friend". Ok... I will leave this thread alone. I don't claim to know it all. Just tried to lend some advice from my own personal experience and that didn't go over very well. It's cool, just the internet.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

Yes i consider it a personal experience. We changed his oil to RP, then took the car for a test drive and it kept burning oil and after about 40 miles we came back, pulled the car in the garage letting it idle and it was still smoking blue quite a bit. Then we shut off the car, let it sit for 10 minutes and discovered that the oil was at the bottom of the mark on the dipstick. We then immediately changed the oil back to Castrol Syntec (what he was running before) and a minute after start up it completely stopped smoking. We went out for a similar drive again and no smoking. Then came back and checked the oil and it was still on the money.

Yea i consider this as experience because i was with him the whole time and helping him through everything. NOW if i was saying "Yea i heard a buddy of mine telling me this and that..." then you would have every right to rag on me.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

DavoJan, that link is very informative..if you know where to look on there and who to listen to, it's probably the best source of information you can find on this topic while still keeping it remotley interesting.

[QUOTE=optimus prime;5752688]

"Have you?"

Yes, I have. Very high wear metals and shoddy performance. The place that did the UOA told me that this was typical for users who used Royal purple for the first time and that i would get better results over time. Lots of iron content too IIRC. I've also seen many UOAs from people who used the oil often..not very convincing. down right shamefull for the price.

"Not all Amsoil oils are API approved either, yet everyone swears by them."

Like what? to my knowledge all the popular Amsoil are API (in gasoline anyway) I once contacted Amsoil, and they actually told me that their oil is SM, but that they run out of SM bottles so they ship it as SL labled when you order from online. Amsoil are also Group IV/V Base synthetic oils, not BS synerlock or whatever technology that Royal Purple Claims.

"I was under the imppression that Exxon/Mobil helped develop the API standards as well"

I'm sure all the manufacturers were included, but i'm sure that Exxon mobil, as well as probably every other oil manufacturer had a very limited power role in the process. The Petro. institute for automobiles sets these standards..just like the government works with automobile manufacturers to meet Airbag safety and crash standards and MPG ratings.

"some things have to be compromised. However, oils that are not approved could still be used and in some cases be better than the approved product. Kind of a use at your own risk situation"

Yes, something is compromised. In royal purples situation, a higher quality base stock is compromised. you can see what it excells in with a simple cheap Analysis. it doesn't out preform at all. Look at Red line..if you like high quality oil, and really want to spend frikin 8 dollars a bottle, look at the quality of redline.. Very high on Moly, excellent wear, long lasting protection..no trade offs..except the price. I still refuse to pay that much for engine oil. I'll use Redline Gear oil and transmission fluid since i'll probably never change it again for as long as i own the car but thats it. period

Last edited by Jbauer; 12-15-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

Yes i consider it a personal experience. We changed his oil to RP, then took the car for a test drive and it kept burning oil and after about 40 miles we came back, pulled the car in the garage letting it idle and it was still smoking blue quite a bit. Then we shut off the car, let it sit for 10 minutes and discovered that the oil was at the bottom of the mark on the dipstick. We then immediately changed the oil back to Castrol Syntec (what he was running before) and a minute after start up it completely stopped smoking. We went out for a similar drive again and no smoking. Then came back and checked the oil and it was still on the money.

Yea i consider this as experience because i was with him the whole time and helping him through everything. NOW if i was saying "Yea i heard a buddy of mine telling me this and that..." then you would have every right to rag on me.
first off... way too many variables and details left out of that story for it to have been only the RP oil.

Second, I wasn't making that comment about you, I just piggybacked on what was said on the first page that I agreed with.

third, we are waaaay off topic... sorry OP.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=Jbauer;5752840]DavoJan, that link is very informative..if you know where to look on there and who to listen to, it's probably the best source of information you can find on this topic while still keeping it remotley interesting.

Originally Posted by optimus prime
Have you?

Yes, I have. Very high wear metals and shoddy performance. The place that did the UOA told me that this was typical for users who used Royal purple for the first time and that i would get better results over time. Lots of iron content too IIRC. I've also seen many UOAs from people who used the oil often..not very convincing. down right shamefull for the price.

Not all Amsoil oils are API approved either, yet everyone swears by them.
Like what? to my knowledge all the popular Amsoil are API (in gasoline anyway) I once contacted Amsoil, and they actually told me that their oil is SM, but that they run out of SM bottles so they ship it as SL labled when you order from online. Amsoil are also Group IV/V Base synthetic oils, not BS synerlock or whatever technology that Royal Purple Claims.

I was under the imppression that Exxon/Mobil helped develop the API standards as well

Say what? I'm sure all the manufacturers were included, but i'm sure that Exxon mobil, as well as probably every other oil manufacturer had a very limited power role in the process. The Petro. institute for automobiles sets these standards..just like the government works with automobile manufacturers to meet Airbag safety and crash standards and MPG ratings.

some things have to be compromised. However, oils that are not approved could still be used and in some cases be better than the approved product. Kind of a use at your own risk situation

Yes, something is compromised. In royal purples situation, a higher quality base stock is compromised. you can see what it excells in with a simple cheap Analysis. it doesn't out preform at all.
As much as I would love to continiue this for miles and miles of posts. I just don't think that it would do any good other than demonstrating that you and I understand a little bit more about this than the average consumer... and that we don't agree at all.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

I understand..some ppl are **** about their oil.
I have no brand loyalty..if a brand makes something good, i'll stick with it but thats it. If Royal purple makes something i feel is nice, i'll buy it. I'm totally un biased. but my UOAs and the UOAs on BITOG and the opinoins of many of the most intelligent members on that site point to Royal purple being below special and costing way too much for what it offers.
Your free to dis agree.
*Exits quietly*
Old 12-15-2008, 11:10 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

For those who care and are still reading this thread, RP is API-SL approved btw:

From RP's website....... API Warranty Approved - Royal Purple Motor Oil is a fully approved oil that meets API warranty requirements and therefore will not void new car warranties. Royal Purple Motor Oil is compatible with other mineral and synthetic motor oils. Switching is easy. Drain old oil. Change the filter. Add Royal Purple Motor Oil.

http://www.royalmgi.com/about.shtml

Independent study by North Carolina U:
http://www.royalpurple.com/why-use-rpi/ncsu021112.pdf

and here's Mobil 1 throwing Amsoil under the bus, the same Exxon/Mobil that developed most of the API standards:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...il_Claims.aspx

Last edited by optimus prime; 12-15-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Royal Purple