4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Bumpsteer Kit??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Default Bumpsteer Kit??

What in the worlddd does a bumpsteer kit do? i think i need one lol

My mechanic said i need one bc my tires are wearing on the outside quite quickly... and my car is lowered with CC plates..

info please!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

When you lower your car the tie rods are not parallel anymore the bump steer kit lowers the outer tie rod end so it is Parallel again eliminating bump steer
A better description here

Last edited by BraMas; 01-08-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Better yet here is an explanation of what bumpsteer is so you understand what it is and why you may need it:

If the tierod on your car isn't aligned with the lower control arm what will happen is on either bump or droop the front tires will either toe-in or toe-out excessively making the car seem "twitchy" and unstable. If you're driving it normally then it isn't so noticeable since it's happening at a speed that is manageable.

When you are going fast all of this takes place at a much faster rate which makes the car harder to control and feel more unstable.

As BraMas said, the kit just re-aligns your tie rod so that it minimizes the effect.

At least that is how I understand it......

John
Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

hmmm.. thank you for the info guys..

im still a bit confused though.. so this will help adjust my toe angle back to how it was when stock??

so than this would help my tires to wear normally correct?? cuz at the moment, i have 15k on my tires and they look almost dead... my friend has the same tires and maybe 10k on them and they look brand new.. and my tires are cracking on the outside due to my huge steeda sway bar?? i was told a bumpsteer will fix my tire issue and such
Old 01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
hmmm.. thank you for the info guys..

im still a bit confused though.. so this will help adjust my toe angle back to how it was when stock??

so than this would help my tires to wear normally correct?? cuz at the moment, i have 15k on my tires and they look almost dead... my friend has the same tires and maybe 10k on them and they look brand new.. and my tires are cracking on the outside due to my huge steeda sway bar?? i was told a bumpsteer will fix my tire issue and such
no a bumpsteer kit isn't really going to do anything for tire wear.

Do you know what your cars alignment is?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
no a bumpsteer kit isn't really going to do anything for tire wear.

Do you know what your cars alignment is?
no i dont know what it is i should have asked for the paper..

my alignment was JUST done though... bc i hit a curb a while back in the snow and i had to bring it in to check if it was alright.. but i didnt drive more than 15 miles after hitting the curb.. i just had to drive to the shop..

turned out that i f*cked something up, but they fixed everything... so i know alignment is perfect.. and wheels are balanced bc i did them myself

i've been told its my big steeda sway bar thats causing the outside of my tires to wear
Old 01-08-2009, 04:47 PM
E714FEVER
3rd Gear Member

I've got 1 for sale its a UPR extreme bump steer kit brand new never installed PM me if you want it. Its yours if the orignal buyer does not send a payment tomorrow and its 80 shipped.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

my alignment was JUST done though... bc i hit a curb a while back in the snow and i had to bring it in to check if it was alright.. but i didnt drive more than 15 miles after hitting the curb.. i just had to drive to the shop..

turned out that i f*cked something up, but they fixed everything... so i know alignment is perfect.. and wheels are balanced bc i did them myself

i've been told its my big steeda sway bar thats causing the outside of my tires to wear
I'm no suspension expert by any means, but I fail to see how a swaybar would affect your tire wear. From what I understand, it has to do with the camber you set your alignment at. Since you lowered your car, if the alignment tech didn't compensate with some negative camber anytime you go into bump your tire will go to positive camber and will wear the outside part of the tire more than the inside without a bumpsteer kit to adjust the tierod to the proper length. The way the bumpsteer will affect your tire wear is over many miles the excessive toe-in/out will wear the tire abnormally. The kit should correct that along with a little negative camber. I'd go maybe a degree and a half or even 2 negative.

John

Last edited by Novanutcase; 01-08-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Wait so the outside of the tires are wearing not the inside?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

i dont THINK the inside are wearing.. i can check since 2 of my tires are mounted on my new wheels in the basement...

but the outside are like "cracking" if that makes sense.. it just looks like they are under a lot of load i guess

and thanks E714FEVER, if i decide to get one, ill PM you to see if you still ahve it i jsut wanna make sure this will fix my problem. but its not looking promising

looks like i'm going to have to tell my mechanic to adjust my toe angle or something

Quick Reply: Bumpsteer Kit??