4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Help me choose a mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 AM
DAPOT

Haha no way man, and I was just kidding... its in... texas.

I probably couldn't afford an '01 anyway. 6 grand is my ceiling.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM
DAPOT

I knew it... the cobra was too good to be true. It was one of those automated ebay payment scam things.

Looks like I'm going with the gt.

Can anyone recommend a good book or manual that can teach me about maintaining, and possibly modding my GT? Im a complete car noob.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:29 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

99 Cobra with 84k for $5450? That's kinda low. I'd check it out real good. If it's in good shape, that's a STEAL!

Good luck
Old 01-26-2009, 12:45 PM
DAPOT

Yea I'm talking to the cobra person but it seems like a scam.

The white GT has some black scratches on the body . (not much just 1 or two), and a small 3 inch dent on the door, very low on the side.

Flowmaster cats, and lowering springs. It is also missing the CD player (LOL).

The starter makes a scratching sound when starting up, the gentlemen told me that two of the spokes are bent on one of the gears in the starter and that it is east to fix but doesent actually hurt the car.

He also did some engine work because the engine flooded with fuel or something. Had the paperwork for that , and replaced the bottom with one out of a new crown vic.

Possibly needs two new tires.

Clean carfax but has had 4 owners.

So knowing all that is it still worth 6 grand?

Thanks

Last edited by DAPOT; 01-26-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Ad some info
Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DAPOT
Yea I'm talking to the cobra person but it seems like a scam.

The white GT has some black scratches on the body . (not much just 1 or two), and a small 3 inch dent on the door, very low on the side.

Flowmaster cats, and lowering springs. It is also missing the CD player (LOL).

The starter makes a scratching sound when starting up, the gentlemen told me that two of the spokes are bent on one of the gears in the starter and that it is east to fix but doesent actually hurt the car.

He also did some engine work because the engine flooded with fuel or something. Had the paperwork for that , and replaced the bottom with one out of a new crown vic.

Possibly needs two new tires.

Clean carfax but has had 4 owners.

So knowing all that is it still worth 6 grand?

Thanks
Nope. That car doesn't sound like it's been treated/maintained very well at all.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:52 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Where are you at in MD?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
DAPOT

Montgomery County Rockville.

Damn I was afraid of that. Is there a price I should talk him down to or should I dump it?

my backup backup is a beautiful black V6 '01 with 100k miles. But I don't know If i would ever be happy with a V6...
Old 01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DAPOT
Montgomery County Rockville.

Damn I was afraid of that. Is there a price I should talk him down to or should I dump it?

my backup backup is a beautiful black V6 '01 with 100k miles. But I don't know If i would ever be happy with a V6...
You won't be happy with the V6. Keep your eyes out for another GT.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

oh whats up from Washington County, i used to date a girl that used to go to McGruder<-- SP
Old 01-26-2009, 01:25 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Wouldn't buy the Cobra without seeing it. That seems real low figuring I got my GT for 5k. The GT def has some issues. Eventually that starter is going to let you down. Most likely the engine hydrolocked with fuel due to a bad injector, ford motors are notorious for that esp. the 3V 5.4L. Also, a report is only filed with Carfax if an insurance company handled a claim. If something happend to it and it was fixed out of pocket, Carfax would not have a clue about that. The best thing to do would be to ask the owner if you can take it to your mechanic and have them inspect it to make sure it is not a lemon. And yes, you won't be happy with a V6, just keep your eyes out for one. And I am from PG county.

Last edited by ChalknCover; 01-26-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a mustang