4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

End all tires thread - let's get some input

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by POISND U
This thread is a good idea, but we're talking about Mustang owners, not Lotus Elise owners.

The reality:

98% of the people on this site wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 2 different QUALITY street tires (non DRs), size and speed rating being equal. Most choose a tire because of appearance, brand loyalty, price or a combination of the 3.

Maybe a guide on HOW to choose a tire (instead of "get what I have") would be a better idea?

It's ridiculous for someone to say "These new tires are WAY better than my old, bald tires!!!!"

Of course they are, dummy. The new ones are FREAKIN' NEW!!!!!
Honestly your right, we need a criteria to help select the best tire for the application.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:48 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

I have sumi's 315 and 245's and i like them. they arent eagle F1's or nitttos by any means but for DD use they do fine. i dont really need a tire that you 400 hp guys need because my car is my DD and i dont drive it hard much and when i do its not enough to cause understeer in curves. and i like to roast my tires sometimes and with the sumi's it really doesnt matter because its not like i just roasted a $250 tire lol
Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by defconfire
Honestly your right, we need a criteria to help select the best tire for the application.
Well if a few of you could write up a small thread about it that would be great. Or you can throw it up in here if you don't want to make a new post. Then they can have a guide on how to buy and also what people here are running.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

dont buy from a shop- i could've got my tires from tire rack for $3xx but my dad insisted on going to a local shop which i did and ended up paying $580 with them mounted and balanced
Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
dont buy from a shop- i could've got my tires from tire rack for $3xx but my dad insisted on going to a local shop which i did and ended up paying $580 with them mounted and balanced
I'm lucky when it comes to getting them mounted and balanced since my dad works at a lincoln/mercury dealer.

Anyone else with some tire experience?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

I have 265 BFG KDW2's in the front and BFG 315 DR in the rear.

KDW2's - in my opinion are a good tire. great dry and wet traction. havnt cornered the car too hard yet so don't really know how the side wall will perform. Front hasnt hydroplaned on me yet. good tread wear(got about 1,200 miles on them so far and they look new). Down side to them are that they are a $260 tire.They also emit a pretty good amount of road noise. i have an extremely loud exhaust so the noise isnt too bad, but some one with a quiet exhaust will def hear it.

315 BFG DR - not to be driven alot. They have good dry traction. wet traction is out the window though. def not a tire to buy if you are looking to take turns at 40mph in the rain. tread wear is ehhh. could be better. have the same amount of miles as the tires listed above and have a little more than 2/3 tread left. This is with 5 burn outs/passes down the track. if i were to buy new rears, i would prob try out the nittos as im not 100% pleased with the BFG's.

side note, the summi's are a good DD tire if you are not looking to hook at every red light. i ran them for about 2 years DD and when i swapped for a wider tire^, they still had a **** load of tread left. they do have decent dry traction. wet traction in them is horrible though. If one is looking to get a set of tires for DD and doesnt plan do do alot of performanc driving, this would be a good option. cheap and they last forever.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:04 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

anyone have experience with MT street radials? 295/45/17 size?

i want PICS since its a taller tire than most of the tires people use
Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

DD with little or no high speed cornering/performance driving: Any cheap tire will work in the right size. Suggested Tire preferred by Mustang owner's Sumi's

DD with high speed corning/performance driving: A softer, larger contact patch, Z+ rated tire is requiremented. Suggested Tire: Goodyear, General, Nitto 555, BFG, Dunlop, Firestone.

Auto-x, Road Course Only: -R Compound, very soft tire, tread life is excepted to be short with the type of abuse the tire will see. Suggested Tire: Hoosier R6, Kumho Ecsta V710, Kumho VictoRacer V700.

Drag Race Drag Radial Street/Strip: Soft Compound Tire, Meant for Drag Racing and for High HP applications on the street, Tread wear is short compared to a street tire. Suggested Tire: Mickey Thompson, BFG, Nitto, Hoosier.

Drag Race Slick: Drag Racing Only, Used for the most traction possible, again tread life is short, and will vary depending on the length of the burnout, Tires are of a very soft compound. Suggested Tire: Mickey Thompson, Goodyear, Hoosier, MHT.

I will edit this when I get others input, so TWS can use it for his thread or you can copy and paste it TWS. I think this would be a good way to set this up. Hope it helps.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:24 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dennis_112
DD with little or no high speed cornering/performance driving: Any cheap tire will work in the right size. Suggested Tire preferred by Mustang owner's Sumi's

DD with high speed corning/performance driving: A softer, larger contact patch, Z+ rated tire is requiremented. Suggested Tire: Goodyear, General, Nitto 555, BFG, Dunlop, Firestone.

Auto-x, Road Course Only: -R Compound, very soft tire, tread life is excepted to be short with the type of abuse the tire will see. Suggested Tire: Hoosier R6, Kumho Ecsta V710, Kumho VictoRacer V700.

Drag Race Drag Radial Street/Strip: Soft Compound Tire, Meant for Drag Racing and for High HP applications on the street, Tread wear is short compared to a street tire. Suggested Tire: Mickey Thompson, BFG, Nitto, Hoosier.

Drag Race Slick: Drag Racing Only, Used for the most traction possible, again tread life is short, and will vary depending on the length of the burnout, Tires are of a very soft compound. Suggested Tire: Mickey Thompson, Goodyear, Hoosier, MHT.

I will edit this when I get others input, so TWS can use it for his thread or you can copy and paste it TWS. I think this would be a good way to set this up. Hope it helps.
thanks, thats great

let's keep this going...there was another tire thread started today
Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

im gonna make another tire thread if nobody in this thread gives me an answer

Quick Reply: End all tires thread - let's get some input