4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2001 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM
1997Stang
2nd Gear Member

Oh wow, your a decent drive away lol.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Baddog
If you combine black and white you get gray. When I said silver pops I meant that the flake in the paint being a mineral colour really jumps out. Sure red and yellow are loud colours but don't necessarily set a car off better. After I detail my car (it's silver BTW), the contrast of the shiny jet black tires and mirrors against the polished pony's, shiny tailpipes and deep silver paint looks amazing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I know I'm biased. I also loved the look of my light titanium hatch. I prefer colours that gain strength at night for some reason. Have you ever seen a red SL55 or 911 Turbo? Yuck! Those same cars in silver however are super slick. Colour is one of the most subjective topics anyway so lets get back to the convo on the '01 CobraI a. PS, Ferarri's red is the exception to the rule, it's deadnutz sexy...
I agree.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
Okay mr. 19 year old GURU. How long have you had your SRA? by my count, it's been a week or two since you've completed the swap. How much did you spend?

How much did you spend beefing up the SRA? 33 spline? Upgraded carier? Torque boxes welded? Oh, what about a nice Coilover setup? What happens when you break the rear on that? It's definitely a possibility with a 100+ shot?

Until you've been racing on it for 5 years, or hell, more than a WEEK, why don't you hold off on giving people advice on it? Hows that work?

If you know someone who has plenty of experience with it, get them in here. I'm sure people don't want to go through a middle man

TO the OP. The IRS is PERFECTLY FINE. I've been running and racing 600+rwhp on one for about a YEAR now, with 0, that's right, ZERO problems.

It probably cost me less to brace the IRS than Mr "I know it all" has spent on his swap, which is utterly pathetic.

The sad part, is that usually all it takes to rid wheelhop is Poly Eurethane Bushings, and the Steeda IRS brace for extra support. By my count, that's only ~500 Bucks.

OH, and 2001 Cobra's are great Auto-x Cars, even if they are lacking a little power for dominating the straights, they still are killers in corners. Great Cars IMHO

like stated 19 years old, good guess? i dont have a extra pile of money laying around to experiment on the IRS. i went from others opinions that have beefed the IRS up, AND still swapped to a SRA. the IRS brace is the cheapest thing you can do to the IRS which holds the pumpkin from exploding. the bushings.....i have seen some good reviews and i have seen some terrible reviews. the sticky tires, lets just say my buddy took his et streets off the wheel hop was so bad. the people i private messaged on SVTP are people who are running the fastest times and holds records for hp and times. go search NAZMAN maby you can learn something.

as for my rear end...
-31 spline moser axles ~250
-eaton POSI ~470
-TA girdle cover ~160
-labor ~300

grand total of ~$1,180

yes my TQ boxes will be welded like a **** before i go at it hardcore

so where i see it your IRS brace and bushings prolly ~$700. funny thing with the IRS only has 28 spline outer halfshafts OUCH (halfshafts arnt cheap im sure you know that thow), the posi is also a POS OUCH. my point exactly...and thats not even beefed up. dont be suprised if you spend over 3g's

you take your rearend and launch it at 7k on slicks. i would like to drive mine home from the track.

just curious, but if people could beef there IRS up why would they go threw the hassle of swapping to a SRA? think about it......

next?

Last edited by 01snake; 02-23-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01snake
like stated 19 years old, good guess? i dont have a extra pile of money laying around to experiment on the IRS. i went from others opinions that have beefed the IRS up, AND still swapped to a SRA. the IRS brace is the cheapest thing you can do to the IRS which holds the pumpkin from exploding. the bushings.....i have seen some good reviews and i have seen some terrible reviews. the sticky tires, lets just say my buddy took his et streets off the wheel hop was so bad.
Had he changed bushings, or was he using the stock ones? IF you run slicks on an completely stock IRS you're retarded. I bet he didn't even spend the measly 99 bucks for new bushings.

the people i private messaged on SVTP are people who are running the fastest times and holds records for hp and times. go search NAZMAN maby you can learn something.

as for my rear end...
-31 spline moser axles ~250
-eaton POSI ~470
-TA girdle cover ~160
-labor ~300

grand total of ~$1,180

yes my TQ boxes will be welded like a **** before i go at it hardcore

so where i see it your IRS brace and bushings prolly ~$700. funny thing with the IRS only has 28 spline outer halfshafts OUCH (halfshafts arnt cheap im sure you know that thow), the posi is also a POS OUCH. my point exactly...and thats not even beefed up. dont be suprised if you spend over 3g's
wow, you didn't even price **** out did you?
IRS Brace $159.99
Bushings $99.99

Good job.

oh, and BTW, since most of your lovely 03 cobra bretheren do the same stupid swap, I was able to use their upgraded halfshafts and carriers. For free. Wow, looks like I saved myself a good 1500 bucks

you take your rearend and launch it at 7k on slicks. i would like to drive mine home from the track.
Im sorry, I can pull 1.7 60's coming off Idle on STREET TIRES, I don't need to launch at all.

just curious, but if people could beef there IRS up why would they go threw the hassle of swapping to a SRA? think about it......

next?
People don't beef up their IRS'?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...-IRS_87399.htm

that video^ says otherwise.

There are cobra's out there running 9.1'@148 on their "crappy" IRS', Why don't you just shut up

You said you know people who are doing that? Get them in here to tell us why it's bad. YOU have ZERO experience yet. Period.

Last edited by 2000AZ5.0GT; 02-23-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

IS THE OP BUYING A 03/04 COBRA? no he's not so you shut the fawk up. yea, we can consider you lucky as yours already came with the 03/04 axles.

as for the bushings i was talkin about these which i have heard is one of the best kits you can buy...http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...steer-kit.html

id like to see a vid and a time slip of that 1.7 60'. NOT SAYING ITS NOT POSSIBLE but that would be a HUGE first for me. and think what you could do with a launch on slicks, i guess you will never find out.......just curious as why your using street tires and not launching? could it be you are affriad to bust one? id hate the day you will need to upgrade the 03/04's if you already dont need them now. level 2's run ~900 and level 5's ~1,500.

its a proven fact that the SRA is cheaper to FULLY build and cheaper to fix

Last edited by 01snake; 02-23-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01snake
IS THE OP BUYING A 03/04 COBRA? no he's not so you shut the fawk up. yea, we can consider you lucky as yours already came with the 03/04 axles.
I scrounged up mine from a junkyard, but thanks for telling me how I got them

as for the bushings i was talkin about these which i have heard is one of the best kits you can buy...http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...steer-kit.html
id like to see a vid and a time slip of that 1.7 60'. NOT SAYING ITS NOT POSSIBLE but that would be a HUGE first for me. and think what you could do with a launch on slicks, i guess you will never find out.......just curious as why your using street tires and not launching? could it be you are affriad to bust one? id hate the day you will need to upgrade the 03/04's if you already dont need them now. level 2's run ~900 and level 5's ~1,500.

I had a whole thread about it.

The reason I DON'T run on slicks is because I HATE DRAG RACING. Paying any attention at all you'd already know that. I DO race on Hoosier A6's when racing. But again, the whole paying attention thing.

its a proven fact that the SRA is cheaper to FULLY build and cheaper to fix
No it's not, its a proven fact that you havn't even tried.

Last edited by 2000AZ5.0GT; 02-23-2009 at 10:48 PM.