MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   Rear window Tint Problems... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/522945-rear-window-tint-problems.html)

Bone32 03-09-2009 12:34 AM

Rear window Tint Problems...

Hey guys...

I had the windows tinted on my stang about 2 weeks ago, and on the back window at the top it looks like its a massive air bubble all the way across the window. It looks terrible. I called Ziebart (place that did it) and the guy said its because of the texture on the glass at the top and theres nothing they can do to prevent it..

I looked at my DD, which has tinted windows and the texture crap, and its perfectly fine..

I also looked at my girlfriends car with tint and texture, and its perfectly fine.

Whats the deal?

S197winstang 03-09-2009 01:21 AM

Not to state the obvious but you need a new place to tint..

_Slowbra_ 03-09-2009 03:01 AM

i have had all of my (and my friends mustangs) tinted at various places and they all look like crap at the top....whether or not it looks good at first, eventually it will bubble and peel, which drags the whole back window down. you are better off cutting away the tint and replacing it with a piece of dark vinyl on the outside of the window.

the "tint dots" are a PITA and i have only had 1 friend remove them so he could tint the entire window. this is a common problem from what i hear and my personal experience...not dependent upon which shop you get your tint from. even if they use extra glue on the window (i have seen it done before), it only lasts for a few months, then it begins to bubble and sag. i would trim it before it ruins the whole window, and figure it out from there.

Bone32 03-09-2009 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by _Slowbra_ (Post 6009402)
i have had all of my (and my friends mustangs) tinted at various places and they all look like crap at the top....whether or not it looks good at first, eventually it will bubble and peel, which drags the whole back window down. you are better off cutting away the tint and replacing it with a piece of dark vinyl on the outside of the window.

the "tint dots" are a PITA and i have only had 1 friend remove them so he could tint the entire window. this is a common problem from what i hear and my personal experience...not dependent upon which shop you get your tint from. even if they use extra glue on the window (i have seen it done before), it only lasts for a few months, then it begins to bubble and sag. i would trim it before it ruins the whole window, and figure it out from there.

Thanks for the input :)

DarkShadow04 03-09-2009 09:39 AM

i use to tint windows, this is your solution. before the window is tinted, the guy should have wet sanded the dots down. by wet sanding them, you grind them down until they are even with the other bubbles, then the tint sticks fine. since your tint is already on, hes not gonna want to take it off. so what i did with my car was i cut the tint and spay painted over the dots with a color very similar to the color of the dots. instead of a "dot matrix" it just looks like that color all across the top. it looks good, doesnt look out of place, and is probably the best solution at this point, assuming the tinter isnt gonna want to take the tint off to wetsand the dots

black35th 03-09-2009 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tha187Rookie (Post 6009764)
i use to tint windows, this is your solution. before the window is tinted, the guy should have wet sanded the dots down. by wet sanding them, you grind them down until they are even with the other bubbles, then the tint sticks fine. since your tint is already on, hes not gonna want to take it off. so what i did with my car was i cut the tint and spay painted over the dots with a color very similar to the color of the dots. instead of a "dot matrix" it just looks like that color all across the top. it looks good, doesnt look out of place, and is probably the best solution at this point, assuming the tinter isnt gonna want to take the tint off to wetsand the dots

That's a great idea, I've never thought of wet sanding but it makes perfect since. I always tint my own windows too, so it looks like I'm gonna have to peel that b!tch back off and give that a shot.

OP, my car did the same exact thing and I've seen a lot of other Mustangs with the same problem.

tmcc02gt 03-09-2009 11:21 AM

install a solid black vinyl "moonstrip" across the top of the OUTSIDE of the window and like someone said earlier trim the tint away from the dots so as to not eff up the whole window. The moonstrip should be about six inches or more down from the top. I did it on my car and it looks fine. Hope this helps

purpleking101 03-09-2009 11:36 AM

I had the same problem on my coupe, and the first place that tinted it said the matrix is the problem. So I went to another place and the guy looked at the first job and said he was glad the first guy was in business, cause he keeps gettin to redo all his stuff that has matrix.
His fix: His guys put a water soluble glue on the matrix prior to putting the tint up. It took a couple of days to completely dry, but when it did, it looked awesome, and it didnt have that lifted look anywhere! I was pissed I paid twice, but the guy could do it. CATS window tint in waterbury, CT if anybody wanted to know.

SVTeeshirt 03-09-2009 01:54 PM

good thread to read, im glad i did before getting my tint done this summer.

jrherald420 03-09-2009 03:38 PM

when i had my windows tinted a year ago the tinter used the extra glue. it bubbled up 2 places at the top about the size of a dime but he said it would and to just bring it back every time it did it and he would fix it,now a year later its fine no bubbling. im going back to him to get my firebird and lincoln mark VIII done.